Vortex Wing ?'s

Dave Russell

TVWBB Honor Circle
Call me a sucker for gadgets but I finally bought a medium size Vortex. My wings turned out pretty good tonight but unfortunately, I found no "pleasant surprise". As I had expected, the thing is like a volcano, and this means two things. First of all, I don't recommend ever using a plated grate over it. (I wouldn't have ordered a Vortex had I not had stainless grates in my Performer and my 26.75".)

But since the heat is directed up, what I'm perplexed about is why the instructions for "THUNDERDOME BBQ Vortex Chicken Wings direct the user to start with meat side up, and didn't mention turning until "when the skin looks close to crisp". Maybe it was a typo? Regardless, and to be honest, the instructions could've been a bit more clear.

So anyhow, what's worked best for you Vortex wing grillers out there? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

Call me a sucker for gadgets but I finally bought a medium size Vortex. My wings turned out pretty good tonight but unfortunately, I found no "pleasant surprise". As I had expected, the thing is like a volcano, and this means two things. First of all, I don't recommend ever using a plated grate over it. (I wouldn't have ordered a Vortex had I not had stainless grates in my Performer and my 26.75".)

But since the heat is directed up, what I'm perplexed about is why the instructions for "THUNDERDOME BBQ Vortex Chicken Wings direct the user to start with meat side up, and didn't mention turning until "when the skin looks close to crisp". Maybe it was a typo? Regardless, and to be honest, the instructions could've been a bit more clear.

So anyhow, what's worked best for you Vortex wing grillers out there? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave this is the way i use my Medium Vortex on the SS Performer, Weber Gourmet BBQ System Hinged Cooking Grate Item # HN-WEB226 about $34.00 at Home Depot.

Get it hot and when the flames die down on the charcoal, put the chicken on, turn lid with top vent wide open every 12-15 minutes and check for doneness with instant read thermometer.
I never flip the chicken, but add the center part of the grill if the skin is not done enough to get a good crispy skin.

Vortec%20wings_zpsa4w3h8jc.jpg

IMG_3180_zpsg2vfxmff.jpg

IMG_3181_zpsu2c9bsd0.jpg

IMG_3182_zpspjbcr8tl.jpg

IMG_3183_zpsn4rcwwxj.jpg

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Dave this is the way i use my Medium Vortex on the SS Performer, Weber Gourmet BBQ System Hinged Cooking Grate Item # HN-WEB226 about $34.00 at Home Depot.

Get it hot and when the flames die down on the charcoal, put the chicken on, turn lid with top vent wide open every 12-15 minutes and check for doneness with instant read thermometer.
I never flip the chicken, but add the center part of the grill if the skin is not done enough to get a good crispy skin.

Vortec%20wings_zpsa4w3h8jc.jpg

IMG_3180_zpsg2vfxmff.jpg

IMG_3181_zpsu2c9bsd0.jpg

IMG_3182_zpspjbcr8tl.jpg

IMG_3183_zpsn4rcwwxj.jpg

I hope this helps.

So skin up the entire time. That's what I would've done had I not been directed otherwise by the wing recipe that came with it.

I'm anxious to try it again, and actually will do a head to head comparison with charcoal baskets centered in one kettle, and the medium Vortex in my Performer....just to see the difference it makes with the same amount of charcoal and chicken in each.

Thanks,
Dave

THUNDERDOME BBQ Vortex Chicken Wings direct the user to start with meat side up, and didn't mention turning until "when the skin looks close to crisp". Maybe it was a typo? Regardless, and to be honest, the instructions could've been a bit more clear.

Never heard of it !
Never flipped wings just looked for 450-475F and rotate yhe lid every 15'.
Stop.

Great looking wings Pat, when did you flip them?, and when did you sauce them?

I marinade my chicken for a day or so (if you look close you can see in the top pic there are four different sauces) and i just put them on when the fire is ready, next time i'll put a temp probe on the grill and see what temp i'm cooking at.

Scott M it's a Medium Vortex.

I don't remember who posted this, but he has some balls.

9b98b55438e72c77d672e2edf6313335_zpsy5d71ltb.jpg

Jeff, that's not balls, that's a lot of tail!
Jealous? Oh yeah! However, equally impressed and wondering where my invitation went!?
All that aside, I'm still on the fence about ordering a vortex, cost/benefit ratio has bit been tipped enough for me, yet. I'm still good with the old school equipment. Maybe befuddled is a better term.

Last edited:

I marinade my chicken for a day or so (if you look close you can see in the top pic there are four different sauces) and i just put them on when the fire is ready, next time i'll put a temp probe on the grill and see what temp i'm cooking at.

Scott M it's a Medium Vortex.

I don't remember who posted this, but he has some balls.

9b98b55438e72c77d672e2edf6313335_zpsy5d71ltb.jpg

Yep big ones Pat , must walk like a cowboy.... I tell you i really would like to have one it is another learning tool to us on many different cooks, you guys have just scratched the surface.

Last edited:
jeff G, we have the same exact model and color performer! first I've never heard of the vortex, how do you like it? how often do you use it? I'm wondering about capacity, last night I used indirect heat on the performer to make about 36 wings (72 wing parts). how many wings can u make with the vortex?

I usually flip them at 45 minutes and sauce them 15 minutes after that. It does not take that long for the sauce to start caramelizing after that and they are done.

I like my frustum. Works well on the Smokey Joe.

PICT0995_zpspiujkuuv.jpg

Does a good job with thighs, also. Alas.... no pix of that.

How long are you guys cooking your wings? It sounds like an hour almost from some of these but when I use my Vortex it pegs the lid thermometer and after an hour they would be horribly burned.

jeff G, we have the same exact model and color performer! first I've never heard of the vortex, how do you like it? how often do you use it? I'm wondering about capacity, last night I used indirect heat on the performer to make about 36 wings (72 wing parts). how many wings can u make with the vortex?

How long are you guys cooking your wings? It sounds like an hour almost from some of these but when I use my Vortex it pegs the lid thermometer and after an hour they would be horribly burned.

Jeff D

I use the Vortex almost every weekend since i like bbqed chicken, i loaded up the performer last weekend with 4lbs of wings and 5lbs of chicken thighs.
They came out phenomenal in my book.

IMG_3467_zps7lvwvgkd.jpg

Shawn

Let the flames die down on the Vortex and then add your chicken.

Thermometer pegged yes, 45 minutes in picture, then put the middle grate on and crisped up the skin on the thighs for a few.

IMG_3474_zps0vnxpd95.jpg

Last edited:
Hey guys great cook, but please need info on the temp you set at and i think 45min at that temp is perfect but tell me what your temp is and what you set the kettle at is it botton 1/2 open and top full or ?? The vortex in these pic looks like 3/4 full is that so? I love thighs and wings and some thighs are a kicker

jerr

Hey guys great cook, but please need info on the temp you set at and i think 45min at that temp is perfect but tell me what your temp is and what you set the kettle at is it botton 1/2 open and top full or ?? The vortex in these pic looks like 3/4 full is that so? I love thighs and wings and some thighs are a kicker

jerr

I usually go 1/2 closed on the bottom and wide open on the top. Temperature, HOT. The vortex will bury the needle, picture below was taken with both vents open.

I just made a vortex by cutting the bottom out of a stainless steel bowl. Cost me a grand total of $6 plus 10 minutes of cutting time....first run, it pegged my thermometer at over 550! Has anyone had a problem with the handle getting so hot it melted the handle? No problems yet, just concerned since I'm grilling at a much higher temp then I have ever achieved on my performer.
Thanks,
Tim

Back