WSM 18.5 Mods

TGangelhoff

Hello, newbie poster here. I have been a lurker on this website for awhile now and I have learned a lot. Thanks to everyone for being such a great resource on this site! My family has enjoyed many great meals thanks to tvwbb.com!!!

I have the 18.5 WSM and I decided to order a CB door with hinge today since my stock door is pretty leaky. I have also been reading about the mods people are suggesting and one that seems very popular is to install a 2nd charcoal grate with handles of some sort. I am wondering what the real advantage is to this besides if you use lump charcoal? I haven't used lump charcoal before. I heard that it burns hotter which doesn't seem like a real advantage for someone who is cooking low heat 99% of the time. Does this mod make it easier for clean up? To clean the charcoal bowl I scoop the coals I can reuse into my charcoal starter and then dump the ash in a trash bag.

Just looking for some input on some mods I am considering. I will also be adding some casters to the legs eventually. :)

...a 2nd charcoal grate with handles of some sort. I am wondering what the real advantage is to this besides if you use lump charcoal? I haven't used lump charcoal before.
if you use lump charcoal, the smaller pieces tend to fall thru the charcoal grate.
if you have a 2nd charcoal grate crisscross atop the original grate, it will keep the smaller pieces of coal from falling thru, thus burning.
this ▼ is an excellent example from member Leo Rousseau

0e04be91cd3823ecca6617b61f2f30d0.jpg

Hello, newbie poster here. I have been a lurker on this website for awhile now and I have learned a lot. Thanks to everyone for being such a great resource on this site! My family has enjoyed many great meals thanks to tvwbb.com!!!

I have the 18.5 WSM and I decided to order a CB door with hinge today since my stock door is pretty leaky. I have also been reading about the mods people are suggesting and one that seems very popular is to install a 2nd charcoal grate with handles of some sort. I am wondering what the real advantage is to this besides if you use lump charcoal? I haven't used lump charcoal before. I heard that it burns hotter which doesn't seem like a real advantage for someone who is cooking low heat 99% of the time. Does this mod make it easier for clean up? To clean the charcoal bowl I scoop the coals I can reuse into my charcoal starter and then dump the ash in a trash bag.

Just looking for some input on some mods I am considering. I will also be adding some casters to the legs eventually. :)

Lump will burn hot ( if you let it ) just like any other charcoal.. It takes a bit of a learning curve if you used something other, but not hard to master at all.
Jim gave you a great example of the double grate mod, and you don't have to add the handles if you don't wanna.
The charcoal ring has built in holes, easy to slip your fingers in and give a good shake to drop down the ashes and save the leftover coals.
OBTW. Welcome to the forum!

Tim

if you use lump charcoal, the smaller pieces tend to fall thru the charcoal grate.
if you have a 2nd charcoal grate crisscross atop the original grate, it will keep the smaller pieces of coal from falling thru, thus burning.
this ▼ is an excellent example from member Leo Rousseau

0e04be91cd3823ecca6617b61f2f30d0.jpg

That is what I am planning on doing, but so far I can't find the square u-bolts in stainless steel and I don't want to use zinc coated ones. Does any know where to find the stainless u-bolts?

troy, simple muffler u-bolts (zinc or not) will work fine.
the constant intense heat will kill any worries you may have

Thanks Jim. I keep reading on hear that zinc plated is bad. Does the heat of the charcoal take care of that?

That is what I am planning on doing, but so far I can't find the square u-bolts in stainless steel and I don't want to use zinc coated ones. Does any know where to find the stainless u-bolts?

The charcoal ring has built in holes, easy to slip your fingers in and give a good shake to drop down the ashes and save the leftover coals.

So all you need to do is get some stainless steel wire and wire the grates to the ring. Easy and cheap and no worries about zinc or whatever.

So all you need to do is get some stainless steel wire and wire the grates to the ring. Easy and cheap and no worries about zinc or whatever.

I use rebar tie wire. Works fine. There is no need for the handles - just grab the charcoal ring. It's EZ - it even has holes for your fingers if you so desire.

Last edited:
I used the stainless steel I-bolts and then attached the fire ring to the grate with stainless steel hose clamps. Worked great.

Back