First try at RSC

JPowers

TVWBB Fan
Attempted my first run at RSC. It came out really good! I definitely used too much charcoal in my direct zone on my 22.5 OTG. You guys weren't kidding about the flare ups! I scorched one leg quarter in a matter of seconds it seemed. I alternated pieces between direct and indirect until all were cooked nicely. You really need to be on your game with good lid control, but the results are definitely worth it. Might try it on the WSM next time to better control the flares.

Marinated for about 6 hours in a Ziploc before dumping in grill pan. Baster brush worlked well.

Pre-BBQ snack. Cebollitas are awesome!

Last edited:
I would try the old school "split heat" set up, that provides more even heat requiring less need for the constant shuffling. I prefer it to the one side method for that reason, I'm not one to be incessantly fiddling with position of product. I'm a "set it, have a cocktail and while you are letting the next beverage rest on the ice, look again" kind of guy.

That is a great looking cook and that plated pics tells the story for sure. Outstanding job, keep up the great cooking and looking forward to more cooks.

I would try the old school "split heat" set up, that provides more even heat requiring less need for the constant shuffling. I prefer it to the one side method for that reason, I'm not one to be incessantly fiddling with position of product. I'm a "set it, have a cocktail and while you are letting the next beverage rest on the ice, look again" kind of guy.

Timothy, can you describe the "split heat" set up. For some reason my brain isn't working right now.

RSC looks great! I'd takea plate or two!

I do RSC in the mini-wsm all the time, and actually prefer it over using the grill. I like to add cherry and pecan wood, gives another depth of flavor to the mix.

RSC can be a grilling bomb. My first attempt was like a dance lesson didn't know which way to move next. But as you say worth the effort. I do mine now on my 18.5 WSM high heat the chicken is high enough up the flames can't get to it, much calmer.

Just leave the oil out of the basting sauce. I had never used it and tried it recently with the oil and did not notice a difference at all flavor wise. I typically set up a two zone fire with banked coals on one side chicken on the other. 45-50 min indirect basting 7-10 mintues. Then I knock down the coals and go direct while basting until I am happy. Just figure out what works for you.

Back