Standing Rib Roast

RDOwens

TVWBB Super Fan
I would make a good stay-at-home dad.
icon_smile.gif
I am off the rest of the week and have been cleaning, laundry, etc. I even managed to get myself over to the butcher today. It's going to be nice this week and I might as well have dinner on the table when my wife arrives home.

I came home with a 6.5# standing rib roast. I've never cooked one previously.

My desire for a rotisserie centered around doing such a roast for Christmas. Now I am looking at $42 worth of beef and I am not certain I want to slide the spit through it.

Jim Minion's recipe has my attention. If I opt out of the cardamon seeds in favor of ground cardamon, do I still use 1/2 to 1 tsp?

What are your thoughts of cooking this roast on the rotisserie compared to the WSM? This is a practice run, but it's still a costly cut.

I appreciate any help you can offer.

The amount of caramom is very minor so no worries on the straight substituion.

For the rotiss or smoke.....both are great. My preference is rotiss though. I love that almost deep fried crust with a rare center. Just my opinon though!

Clark

I've roasted many standing rib roasts indirectly on our 22" Weber for many years. I wouldn't use a rotisserie. You don't need to and as well the spit will heat the center of the roast more than you want. It may hurt your effort. Put a drip pan under the roast to catch drippings for your Yorkshire pudding. Salt and pepper the meat and then slather the cut ends of the roast with very thin rendered bacon fat. Don’t use any other seasonings. Standing rib stands on its own! I start between 350F and 375F and then let the temp. drop throughout the rest of the roasting period. You don't need to turn a bone in standing rib; just roast with the fat side up. Take it out when the internal temp. is 115F. Let it rest 25-30 minutes while you make your Yorkshire pudding. During that time the temp. will rise to 125F to give you a rare roast. The more standing ribs I do the lower is my starting temperature. I roasted our most recent standing rib in the WSM at 225F! That gave us edge to edge rare meat with no grey ring at the edge.

Good Luck

Kent

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kent:
I roasted our most recent standing rib in the WSM at 225F! That gave us edge to edge rare meat with no grey ring at the edge.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kent, YES! I agree and basically do mine the same way, just a touch lower! When you slice in and the rareness is the same thoughout, it's a satisfying cook and fantastic meal!!

I'd like to get more of the fat to render with the low temp. roast, especially with the bone in standing rib. Do you have any thoughts about that? Part of that is admittedly cosmetic. An important aspect, however, is having enough fat and drippings to make several helpings of Yorkshire pudding. We very gingerly warm up the leftover roast, and make a second, and sometimes a third batch of Yorkshire pudding to go along with dinner.

Kent, getting hungry as I type.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kent:
I'd like to get more of the fat to render with the low temp. roast, especially with the bone in standing rib. Do you have any thoughts about that? Part of that is admittedly cosmetic. An important aspect, however, is having enough fat and drippings to make several helpings of Yorkshire pudding. We very gingerly warm up the leftover roast, and make a second, and sometimes a third batch of Yorkshire pudding to go along with dinner.

Kent, getting hungry as I type. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We're not going to get much rendering while cooking that low, unless we did it longer.

Maybe try roasting beef bones or ribs, along side or prior in order to get more fat for the pudding.

Now you're making me HUNGRY!!!!!!

Back