new here, few mods check list for my 22 WSM

Sebastian H

TVWBB Member
Hi there guys, i started to check parts for the 22" that is on the way to my home. I got the Weber Kettle master touch and i really love it. Im on the BBQ catering business and my vertical feed smokers are huge to just fire up for a normal small family fun so i decided to invest money on some weber products. So back to the question, im planning to make this to my WSM

1. Door hinge, ordered
2. Weber Handles(2) for the middle section.
3. Here is my question. Should i add gasket on the door and use the stock door, or do i really need the CB door?.
4. Does the Southco Inc SC-62315 works on the stock door?.

I saw some of my friend using the WSM and the door and lid leaks, so i guess i can use nomex like i do on my smokers.

Having a Weber is now... an adiction:wsm22: lol.

Welcome to the asylum, Sebastian. It's good that you are here. Mexico?

It seems like you have a lot of experience and with that in mind, I would suggest you do more than a few cooks with your 22.5 WSM in stock configuration. You might find that it cooks just fine straight out of the box. After you have used it for a while, you will be able to decide if it needs gaskets, aftermarket doors, latches and whatever else depending on how you want to use your cooker.

Best of luck!

I have a gasket on my door, it still leaks smoke. However it doesn't really seam to make a difference to the cook.
I wouldn't gasket the body to the bottom, it's not needed. The gasket for the lid can help to keep the lid for sticking
Like Robert said, give it a few smokes and see. Remember that a new 22 WSM tends to run hot, until the seasoning builds up.

It seems like you have a lot of experience and with that in mind, I would suggest you do more than a few cooks with your 22.5 WSM in stock configuration. You might find that it cooks just fine straight out of the box. After you have used it for a while, you will be able to decide if it needs gaskets, aftermarket doors, latches and whatever else depending on how you want to use your cooker.

Best of luck!

There's certainly a case to be made that one should get their equipment all tricked out and have fun doing so. If you're a person who enjoys tinkering, have at it. However, I totally agree with Robert. The WSM cooks great as is. Try it and see if you really need anything. While it may appear that the WSM leaks from the lid and door, unless there is an out of round situation or unless the door is bent (easy to fix), that little bit of leakage is not going to hurt a thing. As long as the WSM shuts down when you shut the vents (top and bottom), it's tight enough to operate very well.

Best of luck!

Thanks Robert! and everyone, yes from Mexico, actually just a few hours from the boarder. For me BBQ it more than just a hobby, came back a few days ago from Mark Davis school and I attended to Myron Mixon and Harry Soo last year. I used the WSM just a few times (not mine) and saw a few things which honestly I don't know if it affects or not the cooking time due the low time I had with it. Most of the "issues" where the lid and door smoke leaking. For sure i wanted install the gaskets before seasoning to avoid cleaning the surface.
The hinge and the handles for me is more like comfort side mods which I'm doing for sure. Believe me, with just a few times smoking with this machine I love it!. This is for backyard fun, my vertical feed smokers for my business due the capacity i need.

Last edited:
Oh yea, hinge and handles are on my "must do" mod list. I have both and wouldn't be with out either. The cover still fits with the hinge on, but it's tight. Once you put handles on it, then you will need to look for a bigger cover.

The cover still fits with the hinge on, but it's tight. Once you put handles on it, then you will need to look for a bigger cover.
the cover for a 26" kettle will fit nicely over your 22" WSM with the handles and hinge modifications.
Available by calling 1.800.446.1071 (part # 7153 $44.99)

Back