Water Pan Cover

I Googled up a new weber water pan for $27, sometimes I foil mine, sometimes not. Don't know why people are so protective if their water pans, just trash it, when it leaks buy another!

Good idea if you go non-water and foil the top. 24" foil is expensive and hard to find and seaming two pieces of 18" foil kinda works but you can still get leaks.
I wouldn't use it over a full pan of water. Covering it could cause it to boil over.

Tim

I Googled up a new weber water pan for $27, sometimes I foil mine, sometimes not. Don't know why people are so protective if their water pans, just trash it, when it leaks buy another!

I agree Rich, I foil the water pan, seaming two sheets of 18" foil together, sometimes I get small leaks other times not, never understood the obsessiveness of keeping the water pan pristine. If you do get a leak, a few shots of Simple Green and a shot with the hose takes care of it.

I've thought about drilling a small (~1/4"?) hole in the bottom of my water pan (and the wsm bowl, itself...so standing water won't collect).

I just cover mine in foil, run it dry. I've also thought about installing it upside-down so the juices would pour over the sides but I think I like the hole drilled in the water pan idea better..

but back to your point :) I'd buy a pizza pan before I got the one you linked.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00EAXVR32/tvwb-20

Shand... the point of using foil to cover our empty water pans is low cost and minimal cleanup as we just throw the foil in the trash once finished cooking. Then refoil for next time.

Rich, we are not protective of our water pans. You might want to check out why many of us run our water pans dry.

I was using aluminum party trays from Restaurant Depot in the waterpan.

That is until I got a Hunsaker Smokers Vortex Firebasket for the 22" WSM and eliminated the need for the waterpan!

I can't help but think that your posts regarding that thing (now and in the past) are paid advertisement posts. Just reads too flashy.

I'm sure that thing isn't totally snake oil, but it's a hard sell for most of us.

I was using aluminum party trays from Restaurant Depot in the waterpan.

That is until I got a Hunsaker Smokers Vortex Firebasket for the 22" WSM and eliminated the need for the waterpan!

Brian is one heck of a nice person AND an excellent, proven pitmaster. His use of the Hunsaker Vortex items have caught the eye of a number of users here, myself included.
Not sure about the pellet thing though <G>.

Brian is a good man, I don't doubt the intention of his posts. Hunsaker Smokers was kind enough to provide a free Vortex firebasket for our Christmas prize drawing, so hats off to them.

For me, aluminum foil on the pan works fine for easier cleanup. There was a guy last year who was making disposable foil water pan liners; several people have asked for this kind of product over the years: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?60824-22-5-quot-disposable-foil-drip-pans

Rich, we are not protective of our water pans. You might want to check out why many of us run our water pans dry.
i foil my empty water pan to catch drippings that i dont want to sit in the bottom of the pan over direct heat and boil or burn and stink... I'm not trying to win a beauty contest...a little foil to peel off and discard makes my clean-up AND life easier.

i foil my empty water pan to catch drippings that i dont want to sit in the bottom of the pan over direct heat and boil or burn and stink... I'm not trying to win a beauty contest...a little foil to peel off and discard makes my clean-up AND life easier.

Totally agree with Jim, after the first time I had to chisel out the burnt remains in the bottom of the water pan the first time I used my new WSM because I forgot to foil it, never again.

Brian is a good man, I don't doubt the intention of his posts. Hunsaker Smokers was kind enough to provide a free Vortex firebasket for our Christmas prize drawing, so hats off to them.

For me, aluminum foil on the pan works fine for easier cleanup. There was a guy last year who was making disposable foil water pan liners; several people have asked for this kind of product over the years: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?60824-22-5-quot-disposable-foil-drip-pans

Yeah, it's nice to just pull the foil, toss it in the trash, and be done with it. Water or no water.

BD

I can't help but think that your posts regarding that thing (now and in the past) are paid advertisement posts. Just reads too flashy.

I'm sure that thing isn't totally snake oil, but it's a hard sell for most of us.

I'll admit that I might come off as a shill for some of the bbq/smoking products that I post about, but if I didn't use and believe in them, I wouldn't get behind any of them.

I usually am a more prolific poster on my Left Hand Smoke facebook page, so feel free to check it out. Outdoor cooking, smoking and grilling is my passion and I have a variety of Weber equipment and I love modifying cookers to make them more user friendly and building my own Drum smoker clones, and the Hunsaker Smokers are some I'm pretty fond of and the Vortex basket works fantastic in my 22" WSM.
They are geared toward Hot n Fast cookers, which I enjoy, and realize not a lot here do, so I've tried to post both styles of cooks in my posts with it, so if it still feels like snake oil, then I suppose I missed something.

There are teams using the Vortex baskets in their WSM's with far better pedigrees and chops than me, and are stoked about them-they just don't post about it. So keep on doing what you do.

Last edited:
My thought on this was to use it to replace the water pan. I am having a hard time finding the clay pot bottom to replace my pan. I have a double stacked charcoal ring and would like to have more space for coal. Thanks for the input all!!!

Back