Set up question (Auber)

mike sr

Hi guys , I ordered an auber kit with the 6cfm fan for my 22.WSM , how are you setting up the coal for an extended cook ? Do you still use the minion method ? Do you just dump a lit chimney on a full ring? Is there another method I should consider?

Hi guys , I ordered an auber kit with the 6cfm fan for my 22.WSM , how are you setting up the coal for an extended cook ? Do you still use the minion method ? Do you just dump a lit chimney on a full ring? Is there another method I should consider?

Just curious as to why you went with the 6cfm? I believer Auber recommends a 10cfm for the 22.

Yeah, that will pretty much do it. You might want to lower the amount of lit coals so you don't over shoot your target temp, let the stoker bring it all up to temp evenly.

Yeah, that will pretty much do it. You might want to lower the amount of lit coals so you don't over shoot your target temp, let the stoker bring it all up to temp evenly.
Thanks , there will be a learning curve i spose

Last edited:
I have used the 6.5CFM fan on the WSM with no problems. For cooks 250 and under it should be fine.

As for the setup, i usually put a full ring of unlit charcoal in the WSM and light up about 15-20 briqs for a low temp cook. About 25-30 for a high temp cook (275*)

I've learned it's best to start low and let the Auber bring the smoker up to temp rather than lighting more charcoal. Once you play with it a few times you will find your sweet spot.

Love my Aubers

I use the minion method with a coffee can. Then start the about 1/4 to 1/3 chimney and pour into the can with the overflow spread on top. The Auber brings it up to temp pretty quick. I do not put the can in the middle, but offset it away from the vent with the fan. The coals burn toward the air supply. On my first cook with the can in the middle (removed of course after dumping in the lit coals), the coals away from the can did not fully burn and it was obvious that the burn traveled toward the fan.

As far as programming the Auber, I just set the temp and let it go. I did not get into any of the fancy "learning", alarms, etc.

Back