ATC - Auberins vs IQ110

Mac LA

TVWBB Super Fan
Just wanted to get some thoughts from those who have used these units and some pros and cons you have found; debating between the 2.

I like that the IQ has a variable fan and has the fan in a compact unit that could be moved out of the rain.
I like that Auberins has a digital readout but that's pretty much it.

Help/thoughts/criticisms/just say hi?

Johnny O.

Cant speak to the IQ110, but I bought the auber and love it. Instructions are a little 'un user friendly' at first, (like an engineer wrote them, I suspect). But its worked really well over the 3 cooks I've used it (so far).

I too bought the Auber. The instructions ( wait? there were instructions? oh damn....) were less than ideal once I found them on the web, but really, it is pretty much plug and play. I have no problems with it. The IQ110 is a complete kit, and the Auber might need a "configuring" to mount the fan in the best way.

The Auber seemed a little more "lab tech" to me as the IQ seems "consumer grade."

Cant speak to the IQ110, but I bought the auber and love it. Instructions are a little 'un user friendly' at first, (like an engineer wrote them, I suspect). But its worked really well over the 3 cooks I've used it (so far).

I too bought the Auber. The instructions ( wait? there were instructions? oh damn....) were less than ideal once I found them on the web, but really, it is pretty much plug and play. I have no problems with it. The IQ110 is a complete kit, and the Auber might need a "configuring" to mount the fan in the best way.

The Auber seemed a little more "lab tech" to me as the IQ seems "consumer grade."

Thanks for the replies fellas! I was reading that the Auber has an "autotune" feature but not sure I'd make use of that. I think what I'll do is find directions for both and compare.

Will report back.

Thanks

Johnny O.

Auto tune is a nice feature. In a nut shell, the system "learns" how your smoker heats/ cools and will adjust the blower time to anticipate what it thinks is going to happen. IT does help smooth out the highs and lows, but I was +/- 10 degrees out of the box, usally +/- 5. Only having bigger swings when I needed to shake the ashes or popped the top for a look.

I use Auber's regularly in competition. They perform well for me. I probably have 25+ cooks with them.

The auber is pretty much plug and play. set your temp and get rolling.

Some things I would suggest. Get a silicone gasket. It helps around where the fan contacts the smoker to ensure minimal air leakage. I also bought the toggle switch to turn the fan off before i open the lid to prevent overshoots. Both of these are an extra $3 each if i remember correctly. And if you have a WSM with a grommet I suggest the straight probe instead of the alligator clip.

I'm also looking at both ATC's. What worries me the most about the IQ110 is the fact the whole thing is combined into one housing. In my mind the fan is the mechanical portion that will eventually fail. With the Aubur you can just buy a new fan but with the IQ110 you are out of luck you have to buy a new ATC .

Auto tune is a nice feature. In a nut shell, the system "learns" how your smoker heats/ cools and will adjust the blower time to anticipate what it thinks is going to happen. IT does help smooth out the highs and lows, but I was +/- 10 degrees out of the box, usally +/- 5. Only having bigger swings when I needed to shake the ashes or popped the top for a look.

I was reading the manual last night for some sort of Auber PID controller, not sure if it was the one I'm looking at but it def let a lot to be desired. Not that I couldn't understand it, but it just has so many options and codes to get into these options, sort of turned me off. That said, I still haven't read over the IQ110 manual.

I use Auber's regularly in competition. They perform well for me. I probably have 25+ cooks with them.

The auber is pretty much plug and play. set your temp and get rolling.

Some things I would suggest. Get a silicone gasket. It helps around where the fan contacts the smoker to ensure minimal air leakage. I also bought the toggle switch to turn the fan off before i open the lid to prevent overshoots. Both of these are an extra $3 each if i remember correctly. And if you have a WSM with a grommet I suggest the straight probe instead of the alligator clip.

How well does it hold temps with your setup?

Doesn't the unit automatically shut down on an open lid condition?

I can tell you what I didn't like about the IQ110 is where they suggest placing the probe (center grate) and I could see myself getting frustrated trying to position it far away from the meat as to not get erroneous readings.

Where is the suggested probe location for the Auber? I'm assuming they will all need to be center grate?

I'm also looking at both ATC's. What worries me the most about the IQ110 is the fact the whole thing is combined into one housing. In my mind the fan is the mechanical portion that will eventually fail. With the Aubur you can just buy a new fan but with the IQ110 you are out of luck you have to buy a new ATC .

This is not the case. They do sell replacement fans, I'm sure you would just have to pop the unit open. Also, the fans, I have read, are said to be pretty industrial grade.

There is no auto lid open on the Auber, but like Justin said, they sell a $3 switch to shut the fan off, or you can just unplug the fan.
IF you buy the straight probe instead of the alligator clip probe you just stick in in the gasket of the wsm.
I actually have 2 different fans for my Aubers ( and thinking about buying the third one. ) Each fan has a different CFM rating, bigger CFM = more air. I use the big fan when its cold and raining, and the smaller fan on nicer days.

the auber manual makes it seem waaaaaay more complicated than it is. Just press the up/down to set the temp. If you want a high/low alarm, you navigate to it by pressing menu and then 0-0-0-1-SET, IIRC. That is engineer designed goodness, for sure :)

But it does work well. And seems pretty sturdy to me.

Mac it holds temps like a dream. The WSM is very stable in temps already but the auber makes me forget I'm smoking sometimes!

There is no open lid sensor but the $3 switch or just simply unplugging it before you open the lid will help the controller not overshoot your temps

I'm not sure where the suggested spot is for the probe according to Auber but I have used both the alligator clip and the straight probe in various places without issue. As long as you're not within 1-2 inches of your meat you will be fine. As was stated above, if you get the straight probe you can put it through the WSM silicone grommet. Easy peasy.

This review by Amazing RIbs is what sold me on the controller over a bbq guru or stoker. http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_reviews_ratings/thermometers/auber-syl-1615sys-w

Thanks for the replies fellas.. For now, I think I'm going to hold off for now; maybe ask for one for a bday gift. The last cook I had held SUPER steady so I want to see how steady this thing will get over time.

I will end up with an ATC at some point, just because I like to play with gadgets but for now, it's a pass. Who knows, I may end up with an impulse buy...lol

Johnny... Have you looked at the Stoker ?

I did Bob, it's just has soo many features I'd probably not use, such as the wifi/network features and such. I also don't think I need an extra food probe at the moment. I saw a review where someone said they sell the +1 module? (just the pit probe) but have not been able to find that unit.

But those extra functions are part of the fun... ;)

As far as I know, Rock only sells one controller. That controller can handle 6 inputs/outputs without adding any expanders. You could run 1 fan and 1 pit probe. Can also run 1 fan, 1 pit probe and 4 meat probes. Could also run 3 fans and 3 pit probes. All (almost) plug and play. Real easy to use.

When I first purchased it, would use 1 fan, 1 pit and 3 meat. Eventually stopped using the meat probes. Now just 1 fan and 1 pit probe.

Normal operation... Fill charcoal ring. Bury 3-4 small chunks of smoking wood in pile. Move 15-20 briquettes to chimney. Once hot, spread out over top. Assemble WSM. Turn Stoker ON, set Pit Temperature setpoint. Let it rock & roll. If I'm going to 275+, will set an interim temp of 25 degrees less. Once there, will reset for finish temperature. Very little overshoot.

I have both the IQ110 and Auber. They both work well, but I find myself using the Auber. I just feel more comfortable. The first time I used the IQ on my 18 1/2, the temp went too high. The IQ110 representative said to tape over some of the vent opening which I did and it worked very well. You have to set it (at least mine) about 10* high, but again, no problem. It does not have a temp read out. Later models, the 120 I think, have an adjustable vent and temp read out.

The Auber does have a temp read out and has worked flawlessly. I am just more comfortable with the Auber. It has the temp read out and just looks more traditional with a separate controller and fan unit.

With the temp read out on the Auber, I can then use both Maverick probes in the meat if I am cooking multiple items - just a little more flexibility.

But those extra functions are part of the fun... ;)

As far as I know, Rock only sells one controller. That controller can handle 6 inputs/outputs without adding any expanders. You could run 1 fan and 1 pit probe. Can also run 1 fan, 1 pit probe and 4 meat probes. Could also run 3 fans and 3 pit probes. All (almost) plug and play. Real easy to use.

When I first purchased it, would use 1 fan, 1 pit and 3 meat. Eventually stopped using the meat probes. Now just 1 fan and 1 pit probe.

Normal operation... Fill charcoal ring. Bury 3-4 small chunks of smoking wood in pile. Move 15-20 briquettes to chimney. Once hot, spread out over top. Assemble WSM. Turn Stoker ON, set Pit Temperature setpoint. Let it rock & roll. If I'm going to 275+, will set an interim temp of 25 degrees less. Once there, will reset for finish temperature. Very little overshoot.

I suppose. lol

I'll have to look back at them when I feel the time is right.

I have both the IQ110 and Auber. They both work well, but I find myself using the Auber. I just feel more comfortable. The first time I used the IQ on my 18 1/2, the temp went too high. The IQ110 representative said to tape over some of the vent opening which I did and it worked very well. You have to set it (at least mine) about 10* high, but again, no problem. It does not have a temp read out. Later models, the 120 I think, have an adjustable vent and temp read out.

The Auber does have a temp read out and has worked flawlessly. I am just more comfortable with the Auber. It has the temp read out and just looks more traditional with a separate controller and fan unit.

With the temp read out on the Auber, I can then use both Maverick probes in the meat if I am cooking multiple items - just a little more flexibility.

The 110 does have a damper on the unit that could be shut down for smaller cookers (1-4) iirc. It doesn't have a temp readout but I use my 733 for that.

One of the selling points (to me) for the IQ was the fact the fan is separate from the cooker, I like that, and can be used in the rain. I do like the auto tune feature on the Auber though; IQ just learns (or suppose to) your pit at start up.

For now, I'm just going to muscle through longer cooks and see how far I get with that. I was so ready to pull the trigger on a ATC but my last cook went so well I want to see how far I can get before desperately wanting one.

Back