Question about 14.5 heat shield

Mike Pypiak

TVWBB Member
Hope all is well. I have seen a few conversations around about the heat shield in the WSM 14.5. I for one have not had a problem with it...but - I am getting ready to build a new "home" for my WSM. I scored an extra steel table from Weber after a snafu with my performer deluxe assembly.

I am going to use the table and build a wood frame for it, almost similar to a performer deluxe cart, simply made out of wood instead. Instead of the wire racking in the bottom, I plan on using like 1x6 boards or something along those lines.

My question is, do you think the heat shield in the 14.5 is enough or should I take extra measures for underneath the WSM? I was thinking of doing the mod in this thread http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?63948-More-room-for-ash-14-5 but I'm not sure if that would be enough.

I would think moving the shield outside, as per the mod you referenced, would be perfect. As long as it couldn't fall or get knocked out of position you'd be good to go.

If you use long enough bolts you should be fine with not knocking it off. I use a metal table and have not noticed the table getting hot with the heat shield on the outside, but then again I never checked when it was still internal. One thing about it the metal table I sit it on is painted black and the paint is not bubbling or anything. Tell you what I'll cook a tri-tip this weekend on the 14 WSM and but a grill therm on the table directly under the smoker and let you know what kind of temps I get.

Mike, I am about 2 hours into my cook (decided to do a stuffed pork loin instead of tri-tip) and this is what I've learned. The smoker is at about 275 degrees and the lid therm. The heat shield is very warm to the touch but not to hot to touch with your bare hand. The charcoal bowl however is hot! The metal table the little WSM is setting on is cold to the touch and I mean cold. The grill therm I have directly under the external heat shield is bored it is so cool to the touch and not registering (doesn't start reading under 100). I'll keep and eye on it for the rest of the cook and report back but thus far I would say you'd be safe with it under wood if you moved the heat shield to the outside.

About three hours at 275 and the metal table is still cool to the touch. The last time I grabbed the heat shield it was barely warm. I'd say your good to go by moving the heat shield out. Glad I checked this out. I would be comfortable setting the little feller on the thermoplastic table on my performer now. Good by metal table...

Back