First Attempt at Low and Slow Butt

PHolder

TVWBB Pro
Hello All,
This weekend I attempted my first low and slow pork butt. I have done several butts on my Weber Kettle with rave reviews but thought it could be better.

I bought an 8lb butt, trimmed the fat cap and sprinkled with salt and pepper. I fired up the bullet using the minion method, using about 35 lit kingsford brickettes. I put 3 chunks of hickory and 2 chunks of apple. Let that get going while I filled the water pan and hooked up the 733. The butt went on about 11pm Saturday night. IT was about 29 outside. About 4am the Maverick woke me up telling me the temp was down. Stirred the coals, added more water to the pan and went back to sleep. About 1pm after church I added about 30 more lit brickettes being afraid the fire wouldn't last. At this point the meat was only at 170. Started basting with this http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/east_carolina_BBQ_sauce.html every hour or so after 8am. Once the 733 told me the meat was at 190, around 3pm, I tested with a probe for tenderness. OMG, there was no resistance. Took it off and let it rest in the cooler until supper.

As I was pulling the pork with my bear-claws, I could not keep my wife out of it. She loved it! Using the :blackkettle:, the meat would pull away from the bone but would be a little tough pulling apart. Using low and slow, the meat fell apart. I have learned from past experience to tie it up before putting it on to make it easier pulling off the grill. Really needed it this time.

I was amazed how stable the temp was. It seemed to settle in around 232. It was kinda neat watching the stall which lasted several hours. Once the stall was done it SLOWLY started to climb up to the target.

Very pleased with the result. Kudos to the 733.

After a few more of these I see a brisket in my future.

Update: Added pics. The pic of the butt on the WSM was a few hours before it was finished. Pulled pork just before it disappeared.

IMG_0640.jpg
IMG_0641.jpg

Last edited:
Using water in the pan is a great way to stabilize temps. You'll hear all kinds of arguments on all sides (water vs. sand vs. dry pan vs. clay saucer vs. etc.), but the bottom line is to practice (a lot!) and use what you find works best for you.

Last edited:
Good job! I'm on the same path. I did my first butt a couple of weeks ago and I want to do a few more before I attempt the almighty Brisket!!

Congrats on your WSM cook. If you can do good butts on your kettle, then you can do fantastic on the WSM with your eyes closed

Just as a suggestion, I'd cover your water pan in foil next time, top and bottom, before adding the water. It will make clean up much easier.

Great result. I read with interest your cooking times/temps. My first attempt (2 days ago) ended with me transferring my two 8lb pork butts after 12½ hours to an oven indoors to finish (from 170 to 198) cooked at a steady fan oven 325f. Results were great but I felt I had cheated by not going the distance on the WSM. They ate extremely well so keen to see if I can do better next time.

Good luck when you try the brisket. My first is languishing in the fridge with a USE BY MARCH 12TH sticker on the seal. I will watch for your brisket post! Well done.

As I was pulling the pork with my bear-claws, I could not keep my wife out of it. She loved it! Using the :blackkettle:, the meat would pull away from the bone but would be a little tough pulling apart. Using low and slow, the meat fell apart. I have learned from past experience to tie it up before putting it on to make it easier pulling off the grill. Really needed it this time.

Great idea. I think I'll try some food twine (Is this a Walmart item?) on my next butts since they tend to fall apart very easily.

Thanks for link. Vinegar mopping sounds intriguing.

Good job on the pork!

My first cook was two 8# butts. 2nd cook was 8 chicken breats. Omg what wonderful results. Lots ok knowledge here on there forums. I like to see your cooks with all of the tests you are running keep it up Peter.

Back