safety concern

Scott M.

TVWBB Fan
I followed the instructions with the MTQ and some extra brown sugar that Mr. Correll laid out in the epic post above. I turned the belly every 24 hours during the cure. After 6 days I decided to rinse it to prepare for smoking. As I was finishing the rinse, I noticed a small spot that must not have been cured completely. It was softer and pinker. I wasn't sure what to do. I decided to proceed wiith the smoke. That's when I found out that a 3 layer snake with apple wood chunks was not enough to get my 22 wsm over 160. The meat only got to about 120 in 6 hours, so I pulled it and wrapped in foil and got it to 160 in my oven. I then immediately chilled then refrigerated it. I have some concerns about safety.
Any advice?

Thanks, Tom. I plan on frying it eventually. It was the better part of 5#, so I am planning on portioning it out and freezing it.

If its pink after 6 days its cured so I wouldn't worry about it. The smoking time was long but that why you cure it. BTW if you did have a problem frying wouldn't fix it. The curing is to avoid botulism and it's toxin from the bacteria that is the problem, not the bacteria itself.

Back