cajun bandit smoker extension

RobertZ

TVWBB Member
hello all. I'm new to this forum. I've been using weber kettles for years & have been bitten by the smoking bug. I have done some smoking on weber kettles but they are limited in regards to smoking. I searched this site but have not found very much on the Cajun bandit smoker extension. I just bought a used 22" weber performer with the Cajun bandit ext. ring, charcoal collar, grill extender rack, charcoal baskets, heat deflector, & a cover. when we loaded it I thought the heat deflector was under the grill grate but it was actually on top & blew out of the truck on the way home. DOH! it was pretty flimsy sheet metal so it was not much of a loss. I plan on replacing it with a 20" pizza pan. someone on another website suggested covering the bottom grate with heavy foil. so anyway, who here has a similar set up & do you have any tips on using it.

I don't have an answer for you but did want to welcome you to the forum. Someone here will chime in with an answer for you. Welcome!!!

RobertZ, welcome to the forum
Your part that blew away is an 18" stainless pizza pan. Not flimsy at all... I would consider it a loss since it works very well.
try to find a new one at kitchen/restaurant supply joints or online. Stainless, not cheap. Good luck

Last edited:
maybe I did not get the original. it was like a heavy piece of foil. very lightweight. I have been looking for a 20" pizza pan. so far the pans I've found are all 18 gauge/1/16" aluminum. my stepson was following me & called me to tell me what happened. I was already 3 miles down the road by the time he called. I didn't say anything but was wondering why he didn't pick the d**n thing up. it was rush hour & dark on an interstate ramp with a very narrow shoulder. I did go back the next morning but there was no sign of it.

Last edited:
I started a Cajun Bandit Users group on FB, feel free to check it out.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/374475039413561/

What I did was replace the pizza pan with a steel disc on my 18" & 22" CB's

IMG_1301.jpg

brian- what is the diameter of the disc for your 22.5". what i'm wondering is how much space is allowable between the edge of the disc & the kettle.
I tried wrapping the bottom grate with foil temporarily yesterday until I get the pan replaced. the meat cooked at a pretty fast rate. I suspect it was more of a temperature glitch than the foil. the top damper was wide open & the bottom was 1/4 closed. I need to buy a thermometer & play with the bottom damper until I get the temp. correct. I also think i'll try the minion burn technique as well. I think my fire was way too hot. too bad the sale price on the ivation thermometer expired. that was a great deal.

and thanks for the welcome!

I checked out the facebook page. that hunsaker vortex charcoal basket is something else. sessions restaurant supply has some 17" heavy gauge aluminum pans for $7.35 but i'm concerned about the gap between the pan & the kettle. unfortunately I recently used the last of my 1/4" steel plate. I do have a 2'x6' of 1" plate but that might buckle the legs of my performer. :rolleyes:
here's my performer
ho-made stacker rack

Last edited:
Hey, I like the "bolt leg" riser idea! I used bricks, took up more space than I would have liked but it did the job for a test run, I might just copy that, if you don't mind?

go for it. if I wanted to keep it a secret I would not have put it on the internet. besides, I cannot claim this design. I have come up with some 'creative engineering' over the years but this came with the grill.

Good looking stuff Robert.

I just got the CB stacker for my 18.5 WSM so that I can expand my rib smoking capacity. But, seems that lifting handles are going to be a necessary addition.

Got any tips for dummies and the mechanically challenged?

handles were on mine when I bought it. buy some handles, drill your holes & install them. being heavy gauge stainless you'll need to start with a smaller bit & work your way up graduating in bit sizes. i'd also keep the bits oiled while drill. you might drill a hole for thermometer probes while you're at it.

Just a note, for drilling in stainless steel you should use cobalt bits. Start small and work your way up. Cobalt bits can break easily so be carefull. In my work, we occasionally have to drill in stainless and have found that cobalt bits are the best product for the job. Enjoy.

handles were on mine when I bought it. buy some handles, drill your holes & install them. being heavy gauge stainless you'll need to start with a smaller bit & work your way up graduating in bit sizes. i'd also keep the bits oiled while drill. you might drill a hole for thermometer probes while you're at it.

Curious as to why yours had handles and mine didn't.

If the 22 stacker ships with an 18" deflection plate, I'd stick with an 18" replacement plate.
I've seen where spent concrete saw blades were used for deflection plates.
You may have a concrete sawing/coring company in your area ?

09963d0a-5aa7-4f5e-8305-c3cf613da8cd_400.jpg

Also you were running too hot on your first cook.

Use the "Tin Can Minion Method" and the Maverick ET-732 (or higher) temp monitor makes fire control simple.

I bought it used so the previous owner may have installed the handles. they are definitely needed. I am now up to 7 emails to Cajun bandit & have still not received a reply.
as far as the deflector I already bought a heavy gauge 20" aluminum pizza pan which is working fine. for small to medium smokes this an ideal system. I just smoked 2 salmon filets, some tilapia filets, 4 pork chops, a 8" section of a pork loin, & 10 chicken thighs using the 2nd rack. I undercook everything so it doesn't dry out when reheated. makes for an easy way to pre-cook up to 10 days worth of meals.

If the 22 stacker ships with an 18" deflection plate, I'd stick with an 18" replacement plate.
I've seen where spent concrete saw blades were used for deflection plates.
You may have a concrete sawing/coring company in your area ?

09963d0a-5aa7-4f5e-8305-c3cf613da8cd_400.jpg

Also you were running too hot on your first cook.

Use the "Tin Can Minion Method" and the Maverick ET-732 (or higher) temp monitor makes fire control simple.

I use a "re-purposed" concrete saw blade on my DIY Kettle Pizza for a kind of a Piedmont Pan Baking Steel mod.

IMG_2648.jpg

I checked out the facebook page. that hunsaker vortex charcoal basket is something else. sessions restaurant supply has some 17" heavy gauge aluminum pans for $7.35 but i'm concerned about the gap between the pan & the kettle. unfortunately I recently used the last of my 1/4" steel plate. I do have a 2'x6' of 1" plate but that might buckle the legs of my performer. :rolleyes:

So sorry, I just noticed your reply Robert.

The discs I have for the Stackers are 17 3/4" dia. but I had used 18" aluminum pizza pans before them.

IMG_5595.jpg

IMG_5594.jpg

I've been using the Hunsakers Smokers Vortex basket in the Cajun Bandit Conversion for some direct rotisserie cooks.

IMG_2629.jpg

IMG_1850.jpg

I bought it used so the previous owner may have installed the handles. they are definitely needed. I am now up to 7 emails to Cajun bandit & have still not received a reply.
as far as the deflector I already bought a heavy gauge 20" aluminum pizza pan which is working fine. for small to medium smokes this an ideal system. I just smoked 2 salmon filets, some tilapia filets, 4 pork chops, a 8" section of a pork loin, & 10 chicken thighs using the 2nd rack. I undercook everything so it doesn't dry out when reheated. makes for an easy way to pre-cook up to 10 days worth of meals.

Thanks Robert. Probably explains the handles

Back