New Book: Cook It In Cast Iron from Cook's Country

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Cook It in Cast Iron: Kitchen-Tested Recipes for the One Pan That Does It All...a new cookbook from Cook's Country! Release date is February 23.

Pre-order from Amazon for $15.14: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1940352487/tvwb-20?tag=TVWB-20

Or visit this link at Cook's Country: http://view.email.americastestkitch...esponse_key=&cds_tracking_code=&tag=&atc=&r=0

unnamed_zpsc8yshems.jpg

If you have a cast-iron skillet, you don’t need us to pile on the praise—you already know how magical this unassuming pan is. If you don’t have one yet, you’re missing out on a true workhorse in the kitchen. This durable and affordable supertool is the original green pan—a naturally nonstick, completely chemical-free way to cook that will instantly endear itself to you. America’s Test Kitchen has spent months learning all there is to know about cast iron as we developed 120 foolproof recipes specifically for this pan. Traditionalists and newcomers alike will want our recipes for classic cast iron favorites like juicy-crusty steak, fried eggs with lacey edges, and savory Southern-style cornbread as well as surprising recipes for crispy-chewy pizzas, creative one-pan dinners, and irresistible desserts.

An extensive basics chapter at the beginning of the book includes:

• The history of the pan (all American with Chinese roots)
  • A Cast Iron Personality Test to help you decide which type of skillet (traditional or enameled) best fits your kitchen style
  • Results of our evaluation of 10 pans along with their prices
  • Our picks for accessories
  • The science of seasoning and cast iron myths debunked
  • Top 10 Recipes for Cast Iron Newcomers (like Baked Brie with Honeyed Apricots, Classic Roast Chicken with Lemon-Thyme Pan Sauce, and Ultimate Indoor Burgers)

The book’s eight recipe chapters include Sizzling Hot Starters, Skillet Roasts, One-Dish Dinners, Eggs and Breakfasts, and Desserts. Recipe pages feature:

• Why this recipe works explanations that illustrate our testing process and discoveries
  • Full-page color photos for every recipe
  • Variations that help you customize the recipe to suit your tastes
  • Photos that demonstrate important recipe steps

THE MAIN EVENT: THE RECIPES

A cast-iron pan is ideal for many jobs you’re already doing in the kitchen as well as things you want to do but thought you didn’t have the tools to do correctly. Recipes you thought you could only make if you had a slow cooker, a pizza stone, a grill, or a griddle can all actually be made with the help of this one magical multitasker.

Use your cast-iron pan to sear or blacken meat and fish (for recipes such as Filets Mignons with Peppercorn Cream Sauce and Crisp-Skin Salmon with Honey-Lime Sauce); to bake crisp crusts on quiche, tarts, and breads (such as Simple Cheese Quiche, Rustic Summer Fruit Tart, and Cinnamon Swirl Bread); to make easy one-dish meals (such as Marinated Steak Tips with Charred Peppers and Onions and Chicken Pot Pie ); and to prepare and serve an array of appetizers and main dishes right in the pan, since cast iron retains heat beautifully (try Warm Marinated Artichoke Hearts with Olives and Feta and Beer and Cheddar Fondue).

CAST IRON: COMING AROUND AGAIN

Due to its affordability and durability, cast iron was the material of choice for cookware in America until the early 20th century, when aluminum became cheaper and more widely available and subsequently took over as the cookware material of choice. Then came nonstick skillets, followed eventually by worrying reports of chemical nonstick coatings’ effects on the environment and our health. So more and more home cooks are looking at cast-iron skillets again and discovering their value—they perform flawlessly, are reasonably priced, need very little attention, and can last a lifetime. In other words, your great-grandmother knew best.

This collection of 120 recipes developed over months in the test kitchen specifically for our favorite superpan finally gives cast iron its due. Order your copy of Cook It in Cast Iron now, and watch this pan become as big a star in your kitchen as it’s always been in ours.

I'll wait for the kindle price to come down...

The Lodge Cast Iron Cookbook is another good one.

I've liked all the ATC cookbooks I've got so far, I'm sure I'll wind up with this.

Look for it at Costco. Costco often carries Cook's & ATK books, especially the sosft cover type. They might be shipped out with 2 or 3 different titles at a time and it might take a month or two for newly published books. I think I might have seen it there already, but I'm not 100% sure. If I see it this week I'll post.

Rita

We received the book last week and I must say it's unreal with some really great recipe ideas. Barb made some " Pull Apart Garlic Rolls" from the book that were just crazy good. She will probably post that dinner today in PG.

Back