Starting a Mini Ranch build...Question

Dustin Flavell

TVWBB Pro
So I've had my 26.75 for about 5 years now. It is my go grill out of the 11 Kettles/WSM I own. My largest complaint has been and still is the wobbly legs. Gary S had the best solution with that beautiful OTP build he did. My plan was to try to closely replicate it and he tirelessly sent me information and was great at answering my many many questions about details. I can't thank him enough, but it the end I could find a pipe bender locally that would do the project locally that didn't want an arm and a leg to bend the pipe.

Time past and Stu G and Steve Porter came up with the mini ranch to solve the wobbly legs on their 26ers. Since I own a Ranch I thought now that is a cool idea to have a mini version of the mothership kettle. Long story short I ordered the upper and lower frame and it showed up today. I used the manual from the ranch to get the right hardware and am eager to get started. I've scoured the forums here and on the WKC reading up on this build. Think I have everything I need but I due have one question about using the stock wheels from the 26. What did you all use for the axel since the triangle is welded to the 26 axel? Did you use one off the performer or order a piece of round stock?

Appreciate any info. I am really looking forward to the build and solving the wobbly leg, R2D2 sitting, perfect sized Weber kettle.

A couple ideas for the axle. You could cut to one out of the triangle if you know you won't be using it again.
Or take it to a hardware store to match diameter and cut to your new specified length. Your project sounds
like a cool idea.

Thanks Bob I am looking forward to getting started. I think using the old triangle axel will be a bit short so I got the diameter of it and will get a similar piece of rod at a hardware store but longer so I can cut down. Front casters should be here Friday from weber so I would like to start this weekend...

I followed Stu's directions, and took heed to Steve's mounting below the grate level. One of the best mods for the 26.75" kettle. If I ever find a Red one, I'll do it again in a heartbeat!

IMG_1725.jpg

IMG_1726.jpg

Now this is a solid looking unit and if Weber was to build units like this I would have to have one.

Great side tables for work surface looks to be very stable, you would have and a compact design takes up less space than my Performer only missing the auto ignition which could added as it looks like you have room. Materials list would be handy.

Brian,
That is an awesome build there. Love the side tables. BTW what did you use for the rear axel?
Dustin

I just ordered an axle for the Ranch and cut it to size.

The side tables are from a Primo Kamado. The angles of the frames kind of limit any side table mounts. I took a chance on the tables, they were a CL find, BNIB - $30, and fab'd some brackets to the leg frames and the tables bolted right on.

Thanks Brian. I ordered the ranch axel today from eReplacment parts. Got everything I need all I need now is to get started. Thanks again for the tips. Love those tables...

Back