Pork Steaks are a BARGAIN II

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
Tonight, the weather was moderate and I HAD to grill a pork steak! The steaks weigh about one pound each. My wife and I split one between us. Here is the steak ready to dress:

A light coat of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and a moderate application (on both sides) of GFS Salmon Rub (that is NOT a misprint - it is terrific with pork):

Steak on the grill (one full chimney of used coals behind two fire bricks for a VERY hot fire):

On the first flip (I flipped these every minute by the clock):

Finished (total of seven minutes - about 3.5 minutes a side):

Here it is plated with sides (steamed brocoli and sweet potato fries courtesy of my wife Marilyn):

As I mentioned in the previous post, these steaks were 3/4" thick (I had a complete 9.0 lb. Boston Butt sliced into steaks).

This pork steak was tender, juicy, and had great flavor with the rub and grilling.

Wonderful stuff, that pork!!:eek:

Dale53

Last edited:
Robert, those are awesome pork steak you nail that one. Rich and I do them all the time, they are so good and one is enough for the two of us also.

Pork Steaks are THE BBQ in STL - especially since stores here frequently sell pork butts sliced into steaks for $0.99/pound :redmastertouch:

Mr. McGee, you have a MASTERPIECE right here!!

Absolutely Beautiful!!

I think the Chinese have it wrong, it SHOULD be The Year Of The Pork Steak!

Thanks to all of you kind people. If it weren't for Bob Correl and Jim Lampe I would never have thought that pork steak would grill so perfectly. I smile every time I slap a pork steak on the grill. Some of the best eating, PERIOD! My wife and family LOVES them, too.

Five Star Restaurants, EVERYWHERE, "Eat your heart out":cool:!!

Dale53
Keep on smokin':wsm:

Nice words Robert, but THE MAN is Bob... what I know about these guys is what HE taught me....

Those do look good!

I never thought of grilling sliced butt. I figured the meat would be a little tough with such a short time on the grill.

Like Barb said we do pork steaks, chops, pork anything a lot. I do mine exactly like you do quite often, comes out great. Yours looks perfect and a nice plate also.
I'm no were near the skill levels of Bob, Jim, Bill, Cliff and others, but what I do know I've learned from the masters here on the forum.

I figured the meat would be a little tough with such a short time on the grill.
Just slice thinly across the grain and you'll be fine. I always grill thinner pork steaks over direct heat but if it's a thicker steak sometimes I'll mix in a little indirect heat and smoke. They're so versatile!

Nice job with yours, Robert! I haven't grilled one in awhile and I think as soon as I'm done typing this post I'll take one out of the freezer for tomorrow or Tuesday!;)

My Dad used to do pork steaks fifty years ago! They are a favorite of mine and I can get them for .99 a pound pretty regularly. It's kind of a "I don't have any idea what to make for dinner" go to. I go indirect for about forty five minutes depending on thickness. I try to have a couple on hand all the time.

Carl;
You'll have to "click" on "Salmon Rub" after you click on the link. Check out "common Uses", too.

Good stuff!

Dale53

We tried one tonight, and we were impressed with the tenderness and flavor.

I started cooking indirectly (hickory for smoke), and then finished up over hot coals.

I'll have to try that rub you mentioned. We used some leftover slap-yo-daddy.

NOTE:
We had some pork steak left over from a grill cook and my wife used it in a Chinese Stir Fry. It was awesome! The texture (and flavor, of course) is just perfect for that use, IMO.

Just a thought...

Dale53

Back