California > Garden Grove: The Smoking Ribs

I believe Harry Soo mentioned this is owned by a friend of his, when I was at his class last month.

If I can remember, I'll check it out when I'm down that way.

If and that's a big if I ever go back to California, I'll check it out. Spent my teenage years in Garden Grove and even bought my first house there back in the 60's. With our kids now living in the Phoenix area no real reason to go back.

I actually know Kenny, and used to assist on his catering gigs. He's actually the one who got me to thinking bigger on my own personal catering business.

Not sure why a mod edited my first post but whatever.

Kenny was a student of Harry's, but Kenny was professionally culinary taught prior to that and while Harry gave Kenny some tips regarding the restaurant start, my understanding is that Harry loves to use him as an example for success. This is not a knock on Harry at all, I've taken his class and when he mentioned said restaurant, I replied with "you know Kenny"? He was surprised I knew him.

I've worked closely with Kenny and while he appreciates Harry's contribution, using him as an example for students, is something that is tremendously misunderstood.

That said, Harry's classes are worth it and I'd definitely venture to the restaurant if you have a moment...

I actually know Kenny, and used to assist on his catering gigs. He's actually the one who got me to thinking bigger on my own personal catering business.

Not sure why a mod edited my first post but whatever.

Kenny was a student of Harry's, but Kenny was professionally culinary taught prior to that and while Harry gave Kenny some tips regarding the restaurant start, my understanding is that Harry loves to use him as an example for success. This is not a knock on Harry at all, I've taken his class and when he mentioned said restaurant, I replied with "you know Kenny"? He was surprised I knew him.

I've worked closely with Kenny and while he appreciates Harry's contribution, using him as an example for students, is something that is tremendously misunderstood.

That said, Harry's classes are worth it and I'd definitely venture to the restaurant if you have a moment...
I recently took Harry's class. While I can't recall exactly what Harry said about Kenny/Smokin Ribs, I didn't come away with the feeling that Harry was taking credit for Kenny's success. I do recall that Harry was very brief about it, and it may have been a reply to a question by a student as to where to get good bbq locally. The jest of my recollection is that Harry said his friend owned Smokin Ribs and it was great. I don't recall Harry claiming Kenny was his student, but I may not recall everything. My take on Harry, just with the one contact of this class, was that he's a very generous and fairly humble man (in addition to being well studied) that isn't comfortable self-promoting. But I think he also understands he can't have a successful business without self-promotion. In the brief time of the class, he displayed honorable characteristics I'd aspire to.

All that said, I still need to eat some of Kenny's bbq. Maybe this week, I'll get down there.

I recently took Harry's class. While I can't recall exactly what Harry said about Kenny/Smokin Ribs, I didn't come away with the feeling that Harry was taking credit for Kenny's success. I do recall that Harry was very brief about it, and it may have been a reply to a question by a student as to where to get good bbq locally. The jest of my recollection is that Harry said his friend owned Smokin Ribs and it was great. I don't recall Harry claiming Kenny was his student, but I may not recall everything. My take on Harry, just with the one contact of this class, was that he's a very generous and fairly humble man (in addition to being well studied) that isn't comfortable self-promoting. But I think he also understands he can't have a successful business without self-promotion. In the brief time of the class, he displayed honorable characteristics I'd aspire to.

All that said, I still need to eat some of Kenny's bbq. Maybe this week, I'll get down there.
All very true and I can agree with that. I might have jumped the gun on posting that to be honest. It's just something that was explained to me when I had brought it up.

I'd definitely try it out, I always get the brisket with mac n cheese and mash with blueberry cornbread. Ribs are good as well.

Back