Probe location 22.5

Mac LA

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey everyone,

Just reading through some old threads because I'm bored, and waiting for for 3:45 to hit.

Whats wrong with the grommet placement on the 22.5? It appears to have enough room in the slit for 2-3 probes so why do folks drill holes or slit the top lip?

Johnny

I'm thinking I understand the issue. the grommet you speak of was only added in 2014. before that there was no such option. I thought you were talking about the holes. my bad.

I have a 18.5, but I doubt it makes a difference.

seems unwieldy and unnecessary to me, but each to their own.

Gotcha!

Seems like an ease of use thing..

I'm thinking I understand the issue. the grommet you speak of was only added in 2014. before that there was no such option. I thought you were talking about the holes. my bad.

OOhhhhh!!! Makes complete sense! Thanks you sir!

I did the slot mod to make it easier to use probes on the top grate for all three of my WSMs. The 14.5 is the only one of my WSM that has the grommet but fishing the probe up to the top grate is kind of a pain. I winced when I did the first one, but after I got over that it seemed necessary for the other two.

I did the slot mod to make it easier to use probes on the top grate for all three of my WSMs. The 14.5 is the only one of my WSM that has the grommet but fishing the probe up to the top grate is kind of a pain. I winced when I did the first one, but after I got over that it seemed necessary for the other two.

I agree, that and taking the top grate off requires a tad bit more maneuvering.

I did the notch in my 22.5 and then even though I had a grommet in the 14.5 I did it in the 14.5, even though the top grate is smaller it is still a pain to take out the probe take out the top grate work on the bottom grate put the top back in and put probe back into the meat. Some have flamed me for doing it but I could care less, it is my WSM, if they want to buy me an other 14.5 I will not notch it to make them happy but otherwise I like what I did.

I did the notch in my 22.5 and then even though I had a grommet in the 14.5 I did it in the 14.5, even though the top grate is smaller it is still a pain to take out the probe take out the top grate work on the bottom grate put the top back in and put probe back into the meat. Some have flamed me for doing it but I could care less, it is my WSM, if they want to buy me an other 14.5 I will not notch it to make them happy but otherwise I like what I did.
I notched my old model 18.5, haven't my 14.5 yet, but will before long.
I'm with Jeff all the way on this, it makes it so damn simple when using probes.

I've never had an issue with just going under the lid. That's with the Maverick or the Guru.

Get the probes wet and that's a whole 'nother issue!

BD

Back