Instant Pot - Favorite Chicken or Pork recipes?

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
I have recently decided to replace our ancient crock pot (no matter what setting you dial up, it seems to only know how to cook on HIGH!) with an Instant Pot. I'm looking forward to playing around with a lot of the things that this unit is supposed to do well, but was hoping some of you that have one might share a go-to chicken or pork recipe.

I've looked through all of the pressure cooking sites (thanks for those who posted links!), but was hoping for some personal experiences from y'all.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Rich

You'll undoubtedly have to make some adjustments for the Instant Pot but I make this one often. Not quite as easy as opening a can but pretty quick and, of course, way better.

I have recently decided to replace our ancient crock pot (no matter what setting you dial up, it seems to only know how to cook on HIGH!) with an Instant Pot. I'm looking forward to playing around with a lot of the things that this unit is supposed to do well, but was hoping some of you that have one might share a go-to chicken or pork recipe.

I've looked through all of the pressure cooking sites (thanks for those who posted links!), but was hoping for some personal experiences from y'all.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Rich

Super easy fix for that Rich: get a table lamp dimmer Lutron Model # TTCL100H-WH-C switch like this:

TT300HWH.jpg

Plug your crock pot into that, put some water in it and let 'er rip. When the water gets to it's max temp, use the instant read thermo to test the temp and then use the dimmer to set the water temp where you want it. Now, don't change the setting on the dimmer but everytime you use the pot, use the dimmer and presto, you've got the low temps you want.

Thanks, guys....

Len, no fair coming up with ways for me to not buy a new gadget!! :) Seriously, though, that's a simple idea that I just didn't think of....thanks. :)

Rich

Only pork dish I have made is was navy bean soup and all I used the Instant pot for was to cook the navy beans and ham hocks. I made the soup in a regular stock pot.

Thanks, guys....

Len, no fair coming up with ways for me to not buy a new gadget!! :) Seriously, though, that's a simple idea that I just didn't think of....thanks. :)

Rich

The reason I came up with it was the temp on my new pot was about 20o too high in that stuff was always boilling. My old pot had a lower "low" max temp.

About 90% (or more) of pressure cooker recipes call for high pressure. I have a pretty large collection of pressure cooker recipes and only one or two that call for low pressure. For recipes that call for low pressure, you might try cooking them for a little less time on high pressure. Always use a natural release for chunks, slices, or whole meats and most grains. For ground beef, one can use quick-release but in my opinion, the meat is a bit more tender using the natural pressure release.

Rita

That one is on my ever-expanding "To Do" list. Thanks for the good review, Rich. I'll move it up in the List.

That one is on my ever-expanding "To Do" list. Thanks for the good review, Rich. I'll move it up in the List.

Let me know what you think if you try it out, Rita. My wife and 2 out of 3 kids liked it, so that's pretty good feedback from around here! :)

My current favorite thing in the Instant Pot is steel cut oats. A great, steaming bowl of porridge (with whatever you throw in it) without all the hovering, stirring, etc..... :)

Rich

Found another one the family liked....

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/johns-pressure-cooker-beef-chili-colorado-reader-recipe/

Made the following changes:
Subbed 3lbs chicken thighs for beef
Didn't have tomatoes with diced chiles, so added a diced chipotle in adobo
Subbed chicken broth for the water

We ate ours with some rice, tortillas and steamed veggies on the side. Would make good taco, burrito or enchilada filling, too.

R

I need to make this - thx for posting

I made that Chicken Chile Verde and it was fantastic!
The Chili Colorado looks good and it's on the "to do list":)
Sorta on that same theme ( chuck roast cut into 1" cubes ) I made a Tomato Beef Stroganoff last night. I took a 5lb chuck-eye roast and cubed it, that an a large white onion coarsely chopped along wit a head of garlic smashed.
Added a splash of Kitchen Bouquet and Gravy Master.
In the IP for 25 mins with a splash of water and a dose of beer.
Let that release naturally than added a small can of tomato paste, a 28 oz can of tomato sauce and a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes.
Put the IP into Slow mode cook and let that go for 2 hrs, added a container of sliced mushrooms and let it simmer for another hour.
Added some sour cream at the end and served it over egg noodles.
Good stuff!
Edit: Added 2 packs of McCormick Beef Stroganoff Mix also.

Tim

Last edited:
Emeril's split pea with ham is great cold weather comfort food. I substitute diced ham for the two ham hocks and add a couple dashes of Colgin's Liquid Smoke to taste.

10 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 pounds dried green split peas, picked over, rinsed, and drained
1 medium onion, diced small
4 small carrots, diced small
1 celery stalk, diced small
1/2 red bell pepper, diced small
4 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon)
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled)
2 dried bay leaves
2 small ham hocks (1 1/4 pounds total), with several 1/2-inch slits cut into skin
Coarse salt and ground pepper

DIRECTIONS

In a medium pot, bring broth to a boil, then carefully pour into a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add split peas, onion, carrots, celery, bell pepper, garlic, thyme, bay leaves, and ham hocks; season with salt and pepper.
Cover and cook on high until split peas are creamy, 6 hours, stirring occasionally.
Remove ham hocks from pot. Discard skin and bones; dice meat. Discard bay leaves. Lightly mash peas with the back of a wooden spoon. Return ham to soup and season to taste with salt and pepper.

Timothy, glad you liked that Chile Verde! I will either cut the liquid, or simmer it down after it's done pressure cooking next time. I like it a little thicker. Will take a try at that stroganoff....looks tasty.

T-Mac, seems like that split pea soup would lend itself well to a quick cook in the instant pot......if this 75+ degree weather turns back into something colder, it'll be on the list (have to find some hocks to smoke up first!) :)

R

Rich,
This is my recipe for South Carolina Pulled Pork. I work nights, 12 hour shifts, so the Instant Pot helps when I just don't have it in me to fire up the smoker.

South Carolina Pulled Pork
3-4 lbs. of pork country style ribs
Your favorite BBQ rub
4-6 cups of chicken stock
2 tbsp liquid smoke
2 chipotles in adobo finely minced
4 tbsp of adobo sauce from chipotles
2 cups of favorite mustard BBQ Sauce
Kosher salt and Black pepper to taste
Cheap hamburger buns

Season ribs thoroughly with rub and refrigerate at least 4 hours. Combine the chicken stock, liquid smoke, minced chipotles, and adobo sauce in the Instant Pot. Insert the steaming rack and add the seasoned meat. Close and lock the lid in place, and press Meat/Stew for 35 minutes. Place the top vent to seal and allow the Instant Pot to build pressure. Once pressurized and sealed, the timer will start. Once the cycle is complete, allow time (35-45 minutes) for natural pressure release. Once done, remove meat with a slotted spoon and let cool slightly. Separate and shred the meat by hand, carefully searching for any bones or large pieces of fat. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add BBQ sauce gradually, folding it into the shredded meat until desired consistency. Serve on cheap buns toasted with butter.

Last edited:
Thanks, Cee El! This looks like a good one for when I travel with the IP and not the WSM! :) Added it to my list.

R

Back