Trouble with Bacon!

Robert S.

TVWBB Member
I've tried curing bacon several times. The first couple batches I used Tender Quick, then tried Backwoods pink cure that I got at Bass Pro Shop. One recipe I got somewhere on the internet, then I tried the one in the book ,"Charcuterie" by Michael Ruhlman. They all tasted okay, but they were all hard and chewy. I cured them all 7 days, then smoked to 150. One batch I tried roasting in the oven instead of smoking. What am I doing wrong or is it supposed to be hard? Or could it be the pork belly itself. I got one at Costco and another at a pork specialty shop.

bob

Robert,
This site is pretty slow during the winter, not nearly as many members checking in, myself included.
Plus, I'm guessing anyone who read your question doesn't have an answer, therefore no replies.

I've never had the problem, so I can only venture a few possibilities.
Are you smoking it at a fairly low temp, say 150 to 180?
Slicing it rather thin?
Frying it at a moderate temperature?
Do you fry to crisp, or nearly so?
My wife likes it very crisp, I like mine just before it gets to that point.

Once it's cured, it doesn't even have to be smoked or brought up to 150 internal to be cooked and eaten.
Perhaps try slicing and frying a couple of pieces before smoking the next time to see if something in that process is making it hard and chewy.
That's all I have to offer, hope your next batch is better!

I'm with Bob. Try slicing before smoking next time and see how that goes. That'll either lead you to or toward and answer or will eliminate one. It's not an issue I've had. Sometimes, though, as Bob eludes, slicing too thick can make bacon read as hard, especially if cooked to the very crisp stage.

My first attempt at it had a similar outcome. I smoked it to ~150 . I know you're supposed to take to just above that and I did while frying it later. It's overdone in my opinion (mine). I had wanted it to be like when you buy a (unsmoked) chub in the store (tender-wise but taste better). Not even close.

Next time you brine, I would suggest NOT smoking it and see if when you fry it, it's what you expect. If the tender part is there but not the taste (smoke aspect), then smoke it the next time but only take it to say 130.

Thanks for the replies. I smoked/baked at 200 deg to 150. I usually slice as thin as I can by hand. (I don't have a slicer.) And I fry at moderate temp. not too crispy.

bob

I'd reduce the smoking temp to about 170, and take the internal to no more than 135-140, then chill rapidly.
You can always cut off the smoking process once the color looks right.
It's bacon once it is cured, and as long as the end product is cooked to 140 it is safe to eat.

Yes, try smoking at cooler temp. I like to keep it no higher than 150, but that's not always possible with some setups. Also use a very sharp knife to slice as thin as possible.

Back