Bob Correll a public thank you!!

J. Wilson

TVWBB Fan
I followed his "Bacon made easy" post and did the plunge! I had a curing disaster using a popular store bought buckboard cure last year....so I have been gun shy ever since.

Bought a 7lb belly from Costco and cut it in half. One was Tenderquik only and the other was Tenderquik and then I threw on some brown sugar. Vacuum sealed both and cured for 7 days...flipping every day.

Smoked over oak at 208 degrees until they hit about 147. Holy Mother of Everything bacon! This was good bacon....the brown sugar one just about brought me to tears. Thank you so much! If you guys haven't done this do it....crazy easy and it's fantastically good. The Tenderquik only was too salty I think (wife says it's fine).... So you may want to soak for like half a day or something but to each their own

I PM'ed you last week but promised a public thank you.

Cheers!

You're right Bob has been the guru of bacon and many other things. Always willing to help and share his knowledge. He walked me through my first attempt at bacon and it was very successful.
I've made 8 different batches and my standard now is TQ with Penzeys California seasoned pepper (Regular ground black pepper works well also) and brown sugar. Cured for 5 days flipping daily the 6th day I put it in water to soak 30 minutes doing that three times with fresh water then I put it on a cooling rack and let it air dry in the fridge for 24 hours.
I then coat the bacon again with pepper and brown sugar, smoke over hickory or apple at 160-170 until it hits 140.
Really good stuff.

Last edited:
You're very welcome Jeff, happy you liked the results.

As for saltiness, I don't soak for long periods, but change the water often and rub the slab under running water.
My most recent 3/lb. slab could actually be a little more salty.

Back