Kingsford Professional Briqs

KenB

TVWBB Fan
Haven't posted in awhile but still smoking a few times a month. Was walking through Home Depot today and saw Kingford Professional Briquettes. The package states they are all natural wood. Anyone try these Briqs? I switched to Stubbs this summer and definitely like it better than KBB. Even the people that ate my food noticed the difference in taste.

I have not seen these yet. I like their Competition Brix, but they have them priced too high for what they are.

There's no "professional" briquet. There's Kingsford Competition Briquets (came out in 2009 and reviewed here) and Kingsford Lump Briquets (came out in 2015 and reviewed here and here and here). Both are positioned as 100% natural products. The lump briquets are lump charcoal with a starch binder and little bits of raw mesquite added into the mix.

There's no "professional" briquet. There's Kingsford Competition Briquets (came out in 2009 and reviewed here) and Kingsford Lump Briquets (came out in 2015 and reviewed here and here and here). Both are positioned as 100% natural products. The lump briquets are lump charcoal with a starch binder and little bits of raw mesquite added into the mix.

Kingsford is phasing out competition and replacing it with Professional.

Kingsford is phasing out competition and replacing it with Professional.
Hmm...not shown on Kingsford.com yet. Is this just a change in product name but not formula? If you're who I think you are based on LinkedIn, you know of what you speak. :)

KenB, did you see Kingsford Professional Briquet packaging at Home Depot? Would be interested in a pic.

Bag is blue and white, similar to KBB and it comes in 10 pound bags. I saw the pallet sitting in the bbq section still shrink wrapped. Price was 9.99. States on the charcoal that it is all natural. Will get a photo of the bag this weekend. I will purchase a bag and report back.

Hmm...not shown on Kingsford.com yet. Is this just a change in product name but not formula? If you're who I think you are based on LinkedIn, you know of what you speak. :)

KenB, did you see Kingsford Professional Briquet packaging at Home Depot? Would be interested in a pic.

You're correct on both counts

I haven't seen it but it's hard to shell that out when you can find regular KBB on sale and get almost 4 times that for the same price.

Welcome to the forum!

According to Mike, up thread, they are the same as Kingsford Competition, just renamed.

So kingsford email me back . About the professional and the competition birquets. said they are happy to tell me that they are the same product . thats it they didn't say if they are taking the place of the competition. They both burn hot and fast

:wsm22::kingsford::blackkettle:

See reply #4 from Mike Barger...he's in a position to speak about this product with authority because of the company he works for. ;)

I received this statement from Kingsford's PR firm:

"Basically the briquets you’ll find in the rebranded (Professional) bag are still the same Kingsford briquets you’ve come to know and love as Competition this whole time. The new product name more accurately reflects the purpose of the product. The briquets are still great for competitions, but they’re also perfect for helping backyard grillers step up their ‘cue and grill like the pros."

Based on the last sentence, I suspect the marketing folks believe that "Professional" will resonate more with the average consumer than "Competition". Not everyone wants to go into competition, but everyone wants to grill like a pro. :)

Checking my local HD website, they list the Professional briquettes.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Kingsford-11-10-lb-Competition-Briquettes-4460030520/202255974

Bq20Zm8.jpg

Dave

Back