Pork belly troubles

Malvin C

TVWBB Member
Started about 12 pounds of pork belly this morning at about 8:30am. It's about 53, overcast and light rain on and off. It's been running at 175* and the bellies have seemed to hit a wall at 130* and started backing up. I've done a couple batches before and have notice a stall point at about this tempature, but they seem to push through after two-three hours. These have been stuck for longer and now are backing up. Pit temp is still at 175*. Could the dampness in the air be causing some issues?

In order to salvage, I've taken the bellies and put them in the oven to finish them off. I doubt they would be taking on much additional smoke, so hopefully this will not affect to much.

I have experienced a super long stall on only one PB and it lasted 4 hours. It did happen one other time and I pushed the temps up to about 220 at 2 hours of stall and it broke through after about another 1/2 hour. I then dropped the temp back down to 170ish and let it finish. No harm done with the higher heat.
The oven should be fine, but if it's a gas oven they create a lot of humidity too, so it still might take awhile.

Back