Looking for advice on smoking cheese.

~Mark~

TVWBB Pro
I got a Weber 7576 Universal Stainless Steel Smoker Box for Christmas, and was thinking I could use it to smoke cheese. What if I put a bunch of apple wood in it with one lit charcoal briquette, put that in the bottom of my 18.5 WSM. My plan is to have the smoke box on the bottom for smoke, ice in the water pan to keep things cool, and the cheese on the top rack.

Not sure why this wouldn't work.

Thanks for the link. It's been a while since I posted, and I have yet to give it a try.
It's going to be nice this weekend, and my son is going to be in town. I'm hoping we can do it together.

While this doesn't exactly answer your question, I had excellent results my first time smoking Gouda and Cheddar a week before New Year's Eve using a method I read about on this forum. I simply added one chunk of apple wood to two lit Kingsford Briquettes. I smoked it for two hours (I think), let it breathe a few hours and then vac sealed it for a week. The results were fantastic and it definitely continued to get better. I still have one sliver of cheddar in the fridge that I've been resisting....
The trick was to pick a cold and breezy night to help keep the chamber temp low. The Gouda tasted like a dirty ashtray the night I smoked it but after a week it was unreal. Nothing at all like store bought smoked cheese.

I am cold smoking some bacon this weekend. I do not have a pellet smoke tube or pellet maze or whatever.

I am shooting for 150 degrees. Last time the temp got away from me and I only smoked the bacon for about and hour before it got to 140 degrees internally and I pulled.
Any advice on setting up a snake method in the 18.5 WSM? Should i go two or 3 charcoal briquettes high? If I go with 2 charcoal briquette high should I only light 2 briquettes?
Would you recommend water or ice in water pan?

Back