Made a Rotisserie Ring for the 14.5

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
It should work well.

robert-r-14-wsm-rotisserie-1.jpg

Got a flat basket from ebay that's for a Ronco. It's cute! Think it's a bit small. Looks like it would hold 2 chicken thighs.
Might have to make something that would double it's capacity. Possibly a circular basket. It can still do a whole chicken just using the spit.

robert-r-14-wsm-rotisserie-2.jpg

Need to paint & season the ring. I can't wait to try it out!!!

Very nice!...any chance you will make others and offer them for sale here?...I could use one

22059368266_fda5f51843_b.jpg

I have the spit, motor, etc., but no ring...

FWIW, I have a 14.5 WSM, and a 22" Performer...could use it on either or. I think I'd prefer one for the Performer since it's got more length, but I don't know if you have the template, or even care to make others up? shipping could get interesting...

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

Thanks, Jake. At this time, there's no plans to make more of them. The one I made took quite a while to fabricate (first ones usually do) & while very functional, it's far from cosmetically saleable. My skills would need a bit of an upgrade or buy a bead roller (expensive tool which would solve a lot of the fabrication issues).

Wow, you made this rotiss ring and you made the hanger for your 14.5 as well. Is there anything that you can't make yourself?
The chicken looks great as well!

No problem Robert, but if you ever change your mind...I would definitely be interested. Aesthetics aren't important to me, and I could easily spray some high temp black paint, as far as that goes

it's kind of a shame for me to have this spit, motor, motor bracket, hooks, on and on, and not be able to use them, because of not being able to buy a ring, affordably...

Cajun Bandit does sell the ring separately, but for what he wants for just the ring...I might as well spend another $30 and get the other part of the kit too. I don't remember the exact price he quoted to sell me the ring only, but it was up there, and more than I wanted to spend

No problem Robert, but if you ever change your mind...I would definitely be interested. Aesthetics aren't important to me, and I could easily spray some high temp black paint, as far as that goes

it's kind of a shame for me to have this spit, motor, motor bracket, hooks, on and on, and not be able to use them, because of not being able to buy a ring, affordably...

Cajun Bandit does sell the ring separately, but for what he wants for just the ring...I might as well spend another $30 and get the other part of the kit too. I don't remember the exact price he quoted to sell me the ring only, but it was up there, and more than I wanted to spend

If I ever make another one, I'll make you a killer deal on V1.

fwiw - I bought a stacker from Cajun Bandit for the 18.5. It's beautifully crafted from stainless steel which is much harder to work with than mild steel. It's worth the money when you understand what it takes to make one. I didn't know that Cajun Bandit made a rotisserie ring for the 14.5. It's not shown on the web site.

If I ever make another one, I'll make you a killer deal on V1.

~~~Thanking you in advance!

I didn't know that Cajun Bandit made a rotisserie ring for the 14.5. It's not shown on the web site.

~~~the ring I inquired about with Cajun was for a 22" grill. It really wasn't that much more <$$$> for the rest of the kit, but like I said, I have the rest of the kit...

What are these, like $150 from Weber for the entire kit?...I should probably just buy one and call it done, except I'm not that enthused about spending the money, for another way to grill whole chicken...like this-

15508572703_35b99e5433_b.jpg

turning my WSM 18.5" into a pit barrel smoker, really cooks the birds up nice, but I always wanted to rotisserie a chicken...what to do?<LOL>

Wow, you made this rotiss ring and you made the hanger for your 14.5 as well. Is there anything that you can't make yourself?
The chicken looks great as well!

Thank you. There's lots of stuff I can't (er... don't) make, however... I kinda go by the theory: "I can do anything you can do.... maybe not as well... but I can do it!"
Keeps life interesting. :cool:

Thank you. There's lots of stuff I can't (er... don't) make, however... I kinda go by the theory: "I can do anything you can do.... maybe not as well... but I can do it!"Keeps life interesting. :cool:

~~~Clearly you used some sort of a welding rig to put this together, but would you be so kind as to detail how you made it. In doing so, perhaps your testimonial will spark the necessary creativity in one of us, so that we may follow in your footsteps=:)

~~~Clearly you used some sort of a welding rig to put this together, but would you be so kind as to detail how you made it. In doing so, perhaps your testimonial will spark the necessary creativity in one of us, so that we may follow in your footsteps=:)

LOL... sure. The cook chamber is made of 16 gauge steel. It's approx 6 1/2" tall. I used a slip-roll to form it. The length of the metal was determined by the formula π2r. The seam was butt welded & ground flat. The bottom ring was made with 1/4" solid steel rod. It was formed with a ring roller & welded to the outside of the cook chamber at the bottom. The top flange was made from small angle iron that was slotted & then bent to fit the top of the outside of the cook chamber & then welded to it. I drilled 2 holes that fit the small diameter of the spit bushings on opposite sides of the cook chamber approximately 2" down from the top edge. Used an angle grinder with a cutting wheel to finish the slots for the spit. & then attached the bracket for the rotisserie motor. Voila!!! The outside was painted with HH BBQ paint. The inside was seasoned with canola oil.

Sorry.... I didn't take any photos of this project. I made a stacker for the 14.5 & documented that. Used a press brake to form the cook chamber as I didn't have a slip roll at the time. There are some pix there that give a pretty good idea of what to do: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?571...ging-Rack-for-the-14-5&highlight=stacker+14.5

The bottom ring and top angle iron could be hand bent around a plywood jig (circle cut of desired diameter). I suspect the cook chamber could be cut from section of a 15 - 16 gallon metal barrel. So that is an avenue to pursue if there is a barrel yard close by. You could luck out and the barrel might even have a bulge formed at the bottom that would fit the charcoal bowl nicely. I suppose that you could make an 8 sided (or more) cook chamber out of flat pieces of metal.

There's more than one way to skin a cat! Good luck. If you make a rotisserie ring, post pix! :cool:

Last edited:
Cooked this bird last night. Heavy dust inside & out with Kosher salt & into the fridge for 2 hours, rinsed well with water, stabbed a million times with a fork & slathered with Amazon Sunshine & back into the fridge for 5 hours, then rubbed with Weber Kickin' Chicken & put to heat. KBB & cherry.

PICT1309_zpsczv3udmh.jpg

85 minute direct cook. Temps were above 450* for the first hour & then tapered off to 360*. The chicken was incredibly moist & tender. I think that for these HH Chicken cooks.... I'll switch to Stubbs or Kingsford lump. Maybe even add some small splits. I had filled the charcoal ring to the top with KBB & it was all but gone when I removed the bird. Maybe make a bigger charcoal ring to hold more briquettes.

Last edited:
Good Stuff Robert! I had an idea you have access to equipment the rest of us can only dream of using. And you're right when it comes to the quality of Cajun products...we can't make this stuff in our basements, well, you can, the rest of us?...not even hardly

Your latest rotisserie chicken looks good too!

Back