Thanksgiving Turkey Results

Brian.Leblanc

I bought my WSM this spring and I've done ribs, pork butt, and chicken so far. I was against cooking the turkey on it for Thanksgiving because I like the smell in the house and the flavor of oven roasted turkey. However, I think I converted myself to using the WSM in the future. I used the basic brine on this site and some McCormick chicken rub. The results were awesome and I know my guests enjoyed it since 10 people ate every bit of the 15 lb turkey. I'll probably go with a 20 lb turkey in the future so we have leftovers. I think I'll wait until the Sunday before Thanksgiving to decide if it'll be indoors in the oven or outside based on the weather. We get some Thanksgivings with snow, rain, or sub freezing temperatures here in Massachusetts.

http://imgbox.com/g/btcuOn6zUa

Why not do both with two smaller birds? Do them exactly the same except cooking method. That way you can see what cooking method you prefer.

That's a good looking bird. What kind of wood did you use? I love pecan with turkey!

I used a mix of apple and hickory. Personally, I find it hard to detect the type of wood used when smoking meat. Maybe it's because I'm standing around the smoker all day or maybe I just don't have a sensitive enough palette.

Why not do both with two smaller birds? Do them exactly the same except cooking method. That way you can see what cooking method you prefer.

I guess I could go that route but everyone at the table really wanted the smoked bird. I'll end up with roast turkey leftovers and all the smoked meat gone.

Back