Ash Sweepers Sticking

Brian Lieder

TVWBB Member
When i get to my grill, i attempt to open the ash sweepers but they dont move. I have to take out the grates and manually wiggle them loose by hand. How can i fix this? Seems like it's just stuck food/grease on the walls of the grill that adhere to the ash sweepers....

I grilled some chicken and forgot to put some foil on the fire grate to catch the grease. The next day the ash sweepers would barley move, the grease had mixed in with the ash and turned into something similar to concrete, had to really clean the bowl to get them moving again.

About once a month I have a spray bottle that has water and Dawn in it and I give my Performers and quick cleaning to keep things from sticking. I also have a drip pan for each one on the charcoal grate to help catch any drippings.

If cleaning the blades and the bowl doesn't do the trick you might have to break down the assembly and clean or replace the screw.

Get a plastic putty knife and give the bowl a scraping. If that doesn't do it. Put dawn dishsoap on the caked on crud without water and let soak overnight. Use a razor scraper and the caked on grease ash will scrape off like strips of film.
00db80d2-cb50-4938-a4a3-2e8073bba978_zpsf6a3598d.jpg

Get a plastic putty knife and give the bowl a scraping. If that doesn't do it. Put dawn dishsoap on the caked on crud without water and let soak overnight. Use a razor scraper and the caked on grease ash will scrape off like strips of film.
00db80d2-cb50-4938-a4a3-2e8073bba978_zpsf6a3598d.jpg

Whoa that pic is pretty impressive... thats my problem no doubt. Thanks for the direction!

Just an update here... i found a great little scraper that was perfect for cleaning the bowl. I got the grill somewhat warm with the flame of the igniter, then scraped the hell out of the sides. And WOW there was a lot of gunk. I didnt get the bowl 100% clean as others have on here, im lazy i guess, but now there is just the slightest stick and they break free no problem. Thanks for all the help!

What about using oven cleaner in a warm grill?

Would that damage the galvanized finish on the sweepers?

Back