What is the biggest Spatchcock Turkey that will fit on a WSM 18?

NAR_Simpson

TVWBB Fan
For those that Spatchcock their turkeys, what is the biggest turkey that will fit on a WSM 18? I don't want to find out the hard way after I spatchcock a turkey and it doesn't fit on the grate.
I like the way my chickens come out when I spatchcock them, so I want to try to spatchcocking the turkey for Christmas dinner this year. Thanks in advance.

Ryan

I doubt there's a hard-and-fast weight that anyone could quote reliably, because turkeys are built differently. You could bring one of those flexible clothing tape measures to the store and measure the circumference around the breast of the turkey to get a rough estimate. As long it doesn't measure more than 18'' around you should be fine.

butterflied14_zpsxs4xbrve.jpg

This photo is from Butterflied Turkey - Salted on TVWB.

This turkey was 14.34 pounds and just fit on the top grate. I think you'd be hard-pressed going much over 14 pounds without draping it over a shallow bowl like some guys do with big briskets on the WSM.

Well I cut a 20 pounder in half and cooked half on top and half on bottom rack of my WSM(18.5)
I know that's not the strict definition of spatchcocked or butterflied , but it fit easily and came out great.

Back