New Pi Zero $5 stripped down RasPi

Steve_M

TVWBB Guru
Too bad there's no on-board wifi. Love the super low profile of it though.

https://www.adafruit.com/products/2885

qLRl3xD.jpg

And, it uses the same processor as the A+ and B+ models. This will likely work with HeaterMeter without any changes to the software! Hooray!

Last edited:
I saw this a few days ago. I think the CHIP still has an advantage because of the built in WiFi. Truly an iOT device. The only problem I see with it is it is not available just yet, so who knows. Looks promising though.

The Rpi does have a huge base, lots of distros, peripherals, etc. I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon, and I love the super small form factor. Reminds me of the arduino nano.

The nice thing here is that you could cut about $15 off the price of a heatermeter build, and possibly shrink the size a little bit.

It would be easy enough to chop a USB cable down in size, to utilize the same parts. And you could solder in a header as needed!
I'm seeing this as an easy upgrade with minimal conflict... but I'm sure I am missing something.

Yeah these look really awesome as a way to continue the RaspberryPi hardware line. Sure you still need to buy wifi and an SD card and also pin headers, but the small size and lack of external connectors are mean HeaterMeter will just fit on it. A good way to knock off maybe $20 from the total build price, which would be almost 10%! I had seen micro OTG adapters before but that one that fits inside the usb connector is just awesome engineering. I've ordered some from eBay to see how well they work. I'll also pick up some of these Zeros once they're back in stock for testing because I'm sure they're going to be perfect.

after thinking about it....I still think the CHIP is a better value once you factor in the SDcard, wifi/bluetooth. unless you need the hdmi connection for your project...CHIP makes more sense. BUT CHIP is still an unknown because it hasn't shipped and who knows, the pI is proven and will have great support. I like having both options! But I'll wait for my CHIP order...i already have a few pi's....

BTW: CHIP is having a cyber monday sale. $8 ($1 off getchip.com )....funny, my lunch usually costs more ;)

Yeah these look really awesome as a way to continue the RaspberryPi hardware line. Sure you still need to buy wifi and an SD card and also pin headers, but the small size and lack of external connectors are mean HeaterMeter will just fit on it. A good way to knock off maybe $20 from the total build price, which would be almost 10%! I had seen micro OTG adapters before but that one that fits inside the usb connector is just awesome engineering. I've ordered some from eBay to see how well they work. I'll also pick up some of these Zeros once they're back in stock for testing because I'm sure they're going to be perfect.

You could just hard solder on the edimax to the zero like this guy did:
http://hackaday.com/2015/11/28/first-raspberry-pi-zero-hack-piggy-back-wifi/

You say CHIP is a better value but that completely ignores the 1,000 of hours of development work that has gone into this platform. The current platform works on standard hardware with millions of applications and users. The CHIP is neat in concept but the unknown success and lack of heatermeter development resources seems to me like the current Raspberry PI and Arduino platform are unbeatable. Cheaper and smaller Raspberry PI and Arduino seem to be much easier path forward.

I only picked one up at Microcenter yesterday, they were 5 bucks if you bought one but if you bought more than one they were 9.99 each. I just checked the stock and they are already sold out. I'll keep an eye out for you though.

Anyone test this yet with the HM.
Picked mine up today at MicroCenter,
I pre-ordered was supposed to arrive before Christmas, they got stuck in customs. So MicroCenter did not charge got it for free.

Back