Do you remove hard plastic clip holding legs together?

JeffB

TVWBB Pro
Every year I forget about this clip on the turkey and then I'm confused if it needs to be removed before cooking.

This is a hard plastic clip that ties the legs together. Is it just for packaging or do I cook with this attached?

The bird is going on soon so all quick answers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jeff,

I have always removed that clip, not sure having that plastic inside a 350 degree oven/smoker would be a good idea.

Happy Thanksgiving!

The bird is going on soon so all quick answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I leave it in and never have had any problems. You want your legs secured, so if you take it out, tie your legs with string

Ya, I was wondering the same thing, and shared the same concerns - plastic melts! I was going to tie the legs together with string before throwing my bird on! Good luck everyone! Cheers!

The packaging on my turkey said to leave it in place. Temperatures 350 or so and below won't bother it. The plastic doesn't melt until a much higher temperature.

That said, if I take it off, I'll tie the legs together with string. Keeps the legs from drying out too bad and also makes for a cleaner presentation if the legs are secured. I've tried it with the legs secured and unsecured and like securing them better.

I also tuck the wing tips under the back so the wings don't dry out. The wings are my favorite part!

So, leave the plastic in or not. Your call.

What he said

It's made of heat resistant nylon, like the pop-up timers.

Dear Board,

Bob is right. I've done 2 on the grill and several in the oven and I have never pulled it until after the bird is done and resting. It's harmless and it definitely keeps the legs from flopping around or splaying out when the bird cooks. If you are cooking over fire and you manage to melt the little stirrups you have bigger troubles than melted plastic. ;)

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Hmmm...I never thought to leave it in...I always remove it and truss it with butchers twine...It seems more natural than leaving a plastic thingy in...That being said, it's in there so securely I can see how most people would leave it in..UNLESS you are deep frying!

FWIW, I left it in and had no problems with it melting or causing me any issues.

The only problem I had was my 15lb bird cooking faster than anticipated (3 hours at 350*) and having to 3x foil it and hold it in a cooler for 2 hours until all my guests arrived.

Used pecan wood and it came out well. Hard to complain.

Back