Thawing Turkey in Cold Water

John-Peterson

TVWBB Fan
So I've decided to try a turkey this year and I'm doing the thaw in cold water method. Everything Ive read says that you're suppose to change the water every 30 mins. I would understand the reasoning if the turkey was removed from its wrapper, but whats the problem if its still wrapped? The water temp, via my thermapen has only changed a 1-2 degrees since I put it in an hour ago. I had it in a cooler with ice, but it didn't seem to be thawing very fast as the water temp was about 36 degrees.

Add a cup of salt and a half cup of sugar and brine that bird. The salt will help melt the ice. Turkey thaws very slow

The usual explanation is that changing the water it intended to make sure the water stays cold enough. You'd think it would be the opposite problem...that heat energy moves from hot to cold, so the water gets cooler and the turkey gets warmer!

Anyway, you're on the right track with the idea of holding the turkey in water in a refrigerated environment for a long time. I do it in the fridge at 37*F, doing it in a cooler should also work. Maybe yours needed to be a bit warmer.

If you open the packaging and find a big ice ball deep inside the cavity, just rinse with warmish water to melt.

Good luck!

Back