Best wood to smoke the bird? Pecan any good?

JeffB

TVWBB Pro
Just wondering what the most popular wood is used to smoke a turkey on a WSM?

Has anybody tried pecan wood?

Other suggestions welcome.

Happy Thanksgiving to everybody!!

Cherry is my go to for smoking. Not too much wood, a little goes a long way with Turkey

I like cherry, it gives a nice deep red color to the skin. Apple is also good. Both are mild and don't overpower the turkey. I just use 2-3 small chunks. Pecan might be a bit too strong for my taste.

Am going to use cherry this year.

Not sure what I have used in the past as I have both pecan and apple.........

I think this is the 4th year to smoke a turkey and it always comes out great.......

I agree wth Enrico. Apple works great, and a little goes a long way with turkey. Cherry is nice as well. Pecan might be a littke strong.

I tried pecan this year and will go back to an apple or apple/cherry. Pecan was a little too strong for my taste.

I used pecan this year, 2 medium and 1 small chunks. Flavor was good but a little on the lite side. Used 2 big chunks of apple last year, very tasty and many compliments.

I have been using an equal mix of apple, cherry, and pecan, about 3 fist size chunks total, cooking over lump with a little KBB mixed in.

I'm just like most of you; I use a 50/50 mix of apple and cherry. Just a couple of small chunks go a long way with poultry.

Apple works great when I smoke a turkey. If you catch the drippings for gravy you get a nice lightly smoked gravy as well.

I am doing chicken this afternoon. I normally use apple since I have an orchard. I have never tried cherry but can easily rustle some up. I've got a lot of white & red oak, hickory and some cherry.

9u9huf.jpg

2u9qsee.jpg

Back