who has brined a "self basting" 9% solution bird

Steve Craig

I've got a bird in the fridge labeled as containing 9% of a solution of water, salt and natural flavors. I'm trying to decide if i should brine it. I don't want it to be to salty, nor do i want it dry. I know this subject has been beaten up in the past so i don't want to drag out theories for debate.

what i'd like to hear is first hand accounts from people who have brined a "self basting" turkey (or whatever you want to call it when it's got the 9% solution label) and how the bird turned out in the end.

Thanks!

That's a tough call. 9% is a lot salt in it's self, brine will increase the salt content, as well as provide additional moisture. I personally would not brine a 9% YMMV

I can let you know tomorrow, because I have a breast brining right now and just dug the label out of the trash... Trying to decide whether to pull it out of the brine, I hate to waste the bourbon I put in there!

Agree with Chris, we get the free bird when you spend $100 (received 3 so far this thanksgiving) and while I don't do that bird for the big day (I go fresh minimally processed) I do these juiced out birds throughout the year. I used to cut my brine in 1/2, not anymore, I just let it fly and have never had an issue.

I do a flavor brine on pre-pumped birds ( just cut down or omit the salt )
Apple juice, citrus juice and various aromatics, brown sugar and some bourbon.
I just saw a beer brined turkey from Weber which is on the to do list.:wsm:

Tim

Back