Slow Fan

Malvin C

TVWBB Member
I've go the HM fan wired up. When setting to Manual and manually ramp up the fan, it initially pulses one time at one seems like 100% and then immediately back down to 10%. The fan will then not ramp up any faster than that, even if I try to run it 100% on the display...the fan will not get any faster than 10%. Any thoughts as to what might be going on?

Nope it's set to 100%. Not sure what is going on, but when I used it today to smoke two butts, it operated perfectly. Thanks for the reply though.

Sounds almost like a wiring issue. Does it stop blowing completely at 0%, or is the fan still spinning on you? If it's still spinning, you're on servo power. But since you said it works fine now, it sounds like a wiring issue between the HM and the blower.

Last edited:
Sounds almost like a wiring issue. Does it stop blowing completely at 0%, or is the fan still spinning on you? If it's still spinning, you're on servo power. But since you said it works fine now, it sounds like a wiring issue between the HM and the blower.

I'm thinking it must be a wiring issue as well as it was not working properly again. Could not ramp up on manual and would not work when running using PID settings. I'm confident the blower is fine as I can operate it by connecting wires to the PCD and the blower directly. I'm going to check all the solder points on both the wire and where I soldered the ground servo and blower together in the RD3 housing.

You can use a multimeter to check continuity from the blower red wire to the BLOW pin on the CAT5 jack on the HM (with the power off on the HM to be safe). Same for black wire to GND. I would check that first.

You can use a multimeter to check continuity from the blower red wire to the BLOW pin on the CAT5 jack on the HM (with the power off on the HM to be safe). Same for black wire to GND. I would check that first.

Thanks Ralph. I checked continuity between both BLOWER and GND pin at the CAT5e jack on the heatermeter and all the way to the CAT5 keystone jack in the RD3. Good on all points. I also backed up and checked at various points on the PCB and still getting a good continuity check and zero resistence.

Next, I switched the blower from voltage to pulse. Now, it appears I have control, the fan is blowing like crazy and ramping from 0% to 100% like it should. The only problem now, is that until I reach about 20-25%, there is a high pitched noise coming from somewhere on the HM. Have not been able to isoliate it yet.

Thanks Ralph. I checked continuity between both BLOWER and GND pin at the CAT5e jack on the heatermeter and all the way to the CAT5 keystone jack in the RD3. Good on all points. I also backed up and checked at various points on the PCB and still getting a good continuity check and zero resistence.

Next, I switched the blower from voltage to pulse. Now, it appears I have control, the fan is blowing like crazy and ramping from 0% to 100% like it should. The only problem now, is that until I reach about 20-25%, there is a high pitched noise coming from somewhere on the HM. Have not been able to isoliate it yet.

This high pitch noise you hear is most likely the set frequency of the PWM signal, and is completely natural. This is the nature of the beast when the base frequency exists in the audible range, specifically at lower duty cycles (the 0-20% you're noticing). the noise should be coming from the fan, not to HM, so double check the source.

EDIT: These frequencies should be smoothened out by the LC filter? Check the components in the feedback circuit (The Inductor and the 47uF/25v capacitor) for loose solder joints, solder bridges. component polarity, etc.

Last edited:

Back