20-22 lb Turkey on 22.5 WSM

BradyB

TVWBB Member
Hello everyone,

So I just received my brand new 22" WSM. I have previous experience using an 18" knockoff of a WSM, but it started falling apart.

I will be doing a 20-22 lb turkey, but don't know where to start. I have only smoked a turkey once a couple of years ago and it was much smaller. What temp range should I do (325?), how long will that size take (of course time is only an estimate), what brine is the best, do I use a rub after I brine, should I cover the entire bird in foil part way through the smoke to prevent the skin from burning etc?

I fired up the smoker last week to do a burn off and will be firing it up one more time with some bacon or some other high fat food to season it as best I can before I use it for Thanksgiving.

Side note: This thing is amazing!!! I got it going and didn't have to do anything for hours and then I went to bed, so I am sure it still went for more hours after that.

Happy Turkey Day!!! Thanks.

Jumping in head first, I like it!

Make sure you stay with a good amount of lit to start on top of some unlit to light later in the cook.

Thanks for the tips. I saw the apple brine and I think that might have been the one I used years ago, but can't remember. Do you really need no rub or seasoning after using the apple brine? Not even salt or pepper? Also I did one burn off last week to get the manufacturing stuff off and wiped it down. Do I need to do anymore before using it on turkey day?

Thanks for the tips. I saw the apple brine and I think that might have been the one I used years ago, but can't remember. Do you really need no rub or seasoning after using the apple brine? Not even salt or pepper? Also I did one burn off last week to get the manufacturing stuff off and wiped it down. Do I need to do anymore before using it on turkey day?

I used my WSM right out of the box, with nothing more then a wipe down and a slightly longer preheat, followed by a chicken cook that came out great.
IMO The "seasoning" that people reccomend serves two purposes:

1. Build up a layer of grease and smoke that will gunk up cooker to seal up some air leaks.
2. Smoke and grease build up on the inside of the cooker cuts down on the reflection of heat off the inside of the cooker

For those reasons new WSM's can run hot, which is tough for low and slow, but high heat is exactly what you want for a turkey cook so you are in great shape.

Ironically, this turkey cook will help build up and season your cooker for future cooks. You are killing two birds with one stone (admittedly not the best phrasing for a post about turkey HA).

Just realized I have two threads for this going, sorry about that. Anyway, I decided to use the apple brine in the cooking topics. I picked up the turkey yesterday and it was close to 20lbs. I just doubled the brine recipe and it was just enough to cover the bird. I started brining it last night and I will rinse it tonight and let it air dry overnight. Tomorrow I am going to try and keep the smoker at 325 - 350. Before I put the turkey on I was thinking of rubbing it in butter with some finely chopped rosemary and orange zest mixed in. Do I need to cover the turkey in foil for the first part at all? What is the estimate on time usually, 20 min./lb?

Back