20-22 lb Turkey

BradyB

TVWBB Member
Hello everyone,

So I just received my brand new 22" WSM. I have previous experience using an 18" knockoff of a WSM, but it started falling apart.

I will be doing a 20-22 lb turkey, but don't know where to start. I have only smoked a turkey once a couple of years ago and it was much smaller. What temp range should I do (325?), how long will that size take (of course time is only an estimate), what brine is the best, do I use a rub after I brine, should I cover the entire bird in foil part way through the smoke to prevent the skin from burning etc?

I fired up the smoker last week to do a burn off and will be firing it up one more time with some bacon or some other high fat food to season it as best I can before I use it for Thanksgiving.

Side note: This thing is amazing!!! I got it going and didn't have to do anything for hours and then I went to bed, so I am sure it still went for more hours after that.

Happy Turkey Day!!! Thanks.

Okay, so I have been doing some more research and I am contemplating doing LarryR's Jack/Maple Syrup brine, smoking in the 325-350 range. On that brine he says he seasons with salt, pepper, garlic powder. How much salt should be used when seasoning it after doing that brine? I don't want the turkey to be too salty.

Okay, so I have been doing some more research and I am contemplating doing LarryR's Jack/Maple Syrup brine, smoking in the 325-350 range. On that brine he says he seasons with salt, pepper, garlic powder. How much salt should be used when seasoning it after doing that brine? I don't want the turkey to be too salty.
I use about 1/8 of a tsp if that, very little. Just enough that if someone likes skin it's seasoned nicely.

Huh, I've actually never seasoned the bird on the outside. The skin is delicious just from that brine.

I see, okay. Have you used the apple brine in the cooking topics area? Does that one really not need any seasoning/rub after brining? Also, for a 20-22 lb turkey, would I just double all the ingredients in the brine (he suggests a 12-14 lb turkey in the apple brine recipe).

I've used the apple brine often, yes. I've never seasoned a turkey that I brined. I guess it would make the skin a little better, but it's already good, IMHO. I have rubbed with canola or olive oil to help it crisp up though.

For the 20-22lb bird, yes. I'd just double the recipe to keep it simple.

Okay, so I decided to use the apple brine in the cooking topics. I picked up the turkey yesterday and it was close to 20lbs. I just doubled the brine recipe and it was just enough to cover the bird. I started brining it last night and I will rinse it tonight and let it air dry overnight. Tomorrow I am going to try and keep the smoker at 325 - 350. Before I put the turkey on I was thinking of rubbing it in butter with some finely chopped rosemary and orange zest mixed in. Do I need to cover the turkey in foil for the first part at all? What is the estimate on time usually, 20 min./lb?

Back