Installed 2 extra lid vents + Thanksgiving rehearsal with high-heat chicken

YYang

TVWBB Fan
After doing some research on the forum, I decided to add two additional lid vents to the 22.5'' WSM.

I used a piece of string, a "protractor" and masking tape to figure out vent placement, with the center of the factory damper as the reference point:
IMG_0631_zpslgrw9505.jpg

It turns out that the holes in the aluminum damper for the 22.5'' OTG are exactly the same size as the factory holes in the WSM lid, so I used the extra one I had on hand as a stencil.

Left: View from inside the lid after drilling and filing.
Middle: WSM damper nested inside OTG "stencil" in the fully open position - perfect match.
Right: New vents installed. After the holidays I'll be getting them powdercoated black. (Note: I had used Rustoleum High Heat Ultra grill paint for the dampers and legs, which supposedly was heat resistant up to 1200 degrees, but it cracks and chips way too easily. I wouldn't recommend it. I believe it's since been discontinued anyway)

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-17%20at%2012.49.24%20PM_zpsmn8udhjp.png

I took the new vents on a test drive with some high-heat chicken.

Meat: 2 whole chickens from Sam’s Club, a bit less than 5 lbs each.
Prep: Dry brined with kosher salt for 2 days while letting air-dry in the fridge.
Seasonings: Oil brushed over skin right before going on cooker, salt and pepper
Wood: 2 chunks sugar maple lit with rest of chimney, 4 small chunks apple wood.
Method: 1 chimney unlit in chamber + 1 chimney lit on top
Target Temp: ~350℉
Setup: Foiled empty water pan, drip pan on lower grate. Both chickens on upper grate.
Weather: 62 Hi/47 Lo/ Wind S 13 mph/Humidity 38%.

I figured I didn't have to fill the entire chamber for a shorter cook, but I was never able to get above 335 at grate level, even with all vents wide open. I'll definitely be filling the chamber completely for Thanksgiving, because I don't want to chance having rubbery skin.

Left: the birds.
Right: chickens after reaching 155 internal. I used 2 small chunks sugar maple and 2 small chunks applewood.
Screen%20Shot%202015-11-17%20at%201.07.46%20PM_zpslx36vwec.png

The dry brining made the meat incredibly moist and flavorful. I think I'll season the turkey under the skin to improve salt penetration. Even though I couldn't maintain 350 at the grate, the fat rendered pretty well. The skin wasn't rubbery, but it wasn't crunchy either. I think I'd describe it as parchment paper-y.

Left: sliced white meat
Right: skin

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-17%20at%2012.50.58%20PM_zpso6chrmws.png

After this cook, I'm really glad I installed the extra vents. I'm one step closer to not messing up the Thanskgiving turkey :)

That's a great mod.

Consider adding a vent (or two) to the bottom? Those coals like oxygen.

Consider adding a vent (or two) to the bottom? Those coals like oxygen.

I'm trying to avoid doing this, because I'd prefer to have symmetry in the vents. Totally dumb reason, I know, because another bottom vent would make high temps so much easier :rolleyes:.

I'm trying to avoid doing this, because I'd prefer to have symmetry in the vents. Totally dumb reason, I know, because another bottom vent would make high temps so much easier :rolleyes:.

Add three to the bottom. Whoosh!

Haha whoosh indeed. I'd probably be able to indoor skydive inside that thing with all the air flowing through it.

You could put a vent on the bottom Smokey Joe style. Should work fine for high heat cooks.

Awesome mod! I would think just the 2 extra top vents would do it. I only ever want that high heat when I'm cooking a turkey or for chicken. I've had luck with putting a skewer under the top lid. I'd think the 2 extra vents would allow more flow than that. It may be a matter of getting more lit charcoal? I typically get the same result on the skin that you do. Parchment papery is how I'd describe it. I'm not sure how the heck you get crispy.

I added one lid and 2 bowl vents to my 18.5, and i was able to run 375 with the lid propped slightly open, and the door cracked a little with 2 14lb birds in the smoker. I lit 2 chimneys full of lump and dumped it in. When i just do chicken the added vents are enough to run that hot without opening the door. Very glad i did that mod.

Back