Who's getting their bird drunk this year - Jack Daniels Maple Syrup Brine

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
Firming up our T-Day plans and confirmed family is coming to our place in Vegas this year! Going to be doing Jack Daniels and Maple Syrup bird. Anyone else going drunken bird this year? Here's a link to my original post on the brine My-Jack-Daniel-s-Maple-Syrup-Brined-Turkey-w-Pics It's a great brine but never has gotten the traction that some of the others have.

Thanksgiving and 4th of July are honestly my two favorite holidays. Love all the food, family etc.

Going to try this brine on a 5.5 lb turkey breast this weekend. If all goes well, I will do the same when I smoke 4 turkey breasts in a few weeks for a friendsgiving party. just watched the video you posted in the other thread - that bird looked "pretty pretty good" - hilarious.

Last edited:
Going to try this brine on a 5.5 lb turkey breast this weekend. If all goes well, I will do the same when I smoke 4 turkey breasts in a few weeks for a friendsgiving party. just watched the video you posted in the other thread - that bird looked "pretty pretty good" - hilarious.
Ha! Yea, a bit too much champagne that cook! I'll be doing a breast this weekend myself using this brine.

This is my favorite brine, so I will probably grab a bottle of whisky. Maybe I'll even put some in the turkey.
Yep, just another excuse enjoy some Jack!

I too might just give that brine a try, thanks Larry

Do it - you won't regret it! I know someone doing a practice run with it tomorrow, and I'm defrosting a boneless breast (boned & netted). I am low on Jack

What is "Jack Daniel's Maple Syrup Turkey?" it it just:

#7?
Tennessee Honey?
Gentleman Jack?

I'm guessing it's the Honey, but what do I know?

What is "Jack Daniel's Maple Syrup Turkey?" it it just:

#7?
Tennessee Honey?
Gentleman Jack?

I'm guessing it's the Honey, but what do I know?

Just the black label stuff........ I'm wearing latex gloves covered in grease (dirt bike upgrades) or I'd look up the recipe....

regular old Jack + maple syrup........ I'll link it later if you don't find it.

Edit:>>>>>> Here's the link to the original thread (read through it!): http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?100...ed-Turkey-w-Pics&p=31699&viewfull=1#post31699

Here's the recipe from post # 1 - read through it though to see if there are any mods/adjustments:
Per a couple of requests here's the recipe:
Jack Daniels Maple Syrup Turkey
Container large enough to brine your turkey in (a 5 gallon food grade container works well for large birds)
2 cups maple syrup
1 cup bourbon
1 tablespoon pickling spice
Remainder of container filled with salt water mixture with ½ cup table salt per gallon of water (you can also add apples oranges etc.)
Ice can be added to brine to insure safe temperatures
Brine in refrigerator for 24 - 36 hours, rinse bird and allow to air dry in the refrigerator overnight
Season cavity, place carrots, celery, pierced lemon and anything else you desire in cavity.
Butter and season skin
Smoke or grill to 155 Breast/175 Thigh, cherry or other fruit wood recommended
Be sure to use a drip pan below your bird to capture all the "goodness" for your gravy.
Note: I ice down the breast for approximately 45 minutes prior to cooking. This helps the breast and thigh come to temp. at the same time. Ziplock bags of ice work well.

Last edited:
I actually googled "Whiskey Brine Turkey" and got numerous recipes. I've made up my mind, I'm definitely doing a "Whiskey Brine" I just have to figure out which one. I'll post up my brine once I make up my mind. 19 days until Thanksgiving and counting :)

Edit:>>>>>> Here's the link to the original thread (read through it!): http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?100...ed-Turkey-w-Pics&p=31699&viewfull=1#post31699

Here's the recipe from post # 1 - read through it though to see if there are any mods/adjustments:I]Per a couple of requests here's the recipe:
Jack Daniels Maple Syrup Turkey
Container large enough to brine your turkey in (a 5 gallon food grade container works well for large birds)
2 cups maple syrup
1 cup bourbon
1 tablespoon pickling spice
Remainder of container filled with salt water mixture with ½ cup table salt per gallon of water (you can also add apples oranges etc.)
Ice can be added to brine to insure safe temperatures
Brine in refrigerator for 24 - 36 hours, rinse bird and allow to air dry in the refrigerator overnight
Season cavity, place carrots, celery, pierced lemon and anything else you desire in cavity.
Butter and season skin
Smoke or grill to 155 Breast/175 Thigh, cherry or other fruit wood recommended
Be sure to use a drip pan below your bird to capture all the "goodness" for your gravy.
Note: I ice down the breast for approximately 45 minutes prior to cooking. This helps the breast and thigh come to temp. at the same time. Ziplock bags of ice work well. [/I]
Yea I use old #7, I've also used Jim Beam with great results.

I might've used Makers Mark once. My neighbor is crazy for some makers mark chicken legs, I'll have to set him up with some of my turkey in your brine.

I just dunked a boneless breast (boned & netted) in a brine with some Makers Mark..............

I think I've swallowed more MM tonight than I included in the brine :) (it's a small breast!)

My work buddy brought in probably 1.5 pounds of smoke/grilled mixed turkey meat today he did yesterday in your brine (linked him here + I sent him home with some of mine last year). I almost tried Franklin's (super simple) but then I became ... how you say ... inspired :)

I'll probably let it sit in the brine a little longer than recommended. I really appreciate the flavor you've put together here. I told him (work buddy) that he'd probably try yours 3 times & then experiment with new versions...probably because that's what I did.

Thanks again Larry, & to everyone who hasn't tried this: do it. I don't know that I'd say it's the same as KK's "a butt rub for jane" (legendary), but yeah.... this kind of is!

Damn that turned out great. I let her go just a little long (blame it on the vino) but since she was brined it wasn't a big deal. Juicy, moist subtle Jack and syrup flavor mixed in with a little cherry smoke. Great quick cook.

PhotoGrid_1447009631357_zpsyeqgmgrk.jpg

I made the mistake of buying the whiskey on Saturday....750ml....GONE....Now I gotta go back and buy another bottle, I think I'll wait until Monday or Tuesday before Thanksgiving, that way I have the 24-36 hour brine-time, but not enough time to drink the bottle :)

I made the mistake of buying the whiskey on Saturday....750ml....GONE....Now I gotta go back and buy another bottle, I think I'll wait until Monday or Tuesday before Thanksgiving, that way I have the 24-36 hour brine-time, but not enough time to drink the bottle :)
Ha! I'm a Makers Mark man myself so I won't touch the Jack, it's reserved for my brines and my BIL.

I can't relate

male31-male-smiley-whistle-smiley-emoticon-000073-large.gif

:)

Ha! I'm a Makers Mark man myself so I won't touch the Jack, it's reserved for my brines and my BIL.
That was my mistake. The Famous Grouse and the JD#7 were the same price, so I bought The Famous Grouse. Then I got concerned how it would taste so I opened it, and found it to be pretty tasty. Next thing you know....need another bottle :)

. . . Then I got concerned how it would taste so I opened it, and found it to be pretty tasty. . .

Well, a man's gotta do the responsible thing when Thanksgiving's on the line. What are your thoughts on using Famous Grouse vs. JD for the brine?

Well, a man's gotta do the responsible thing when Thanksgiving's on the line. What are your thoughts on using Famous Grouse vs. JD for the brine?
Personally I wouldn't, scotch whiskey is very different than JD. JD is going to be sweeter than say my go to scotch whiskey Macallan.

I believe the original recipe calls for Bourbon which obviously JD is not, however, it's what I drank back then and what I had around the house so I just started using it and called it JD Maple Syrup Brine. I have used Jim Beam bourbon and quite frankly I prefer the recipe with JD.

Back