Brisket, anyone split it before cooking

LynnH

Does anyone split their brisket into point and flat before cooking to accomodate
the size of your grill.

I have had my 18.5 WSM for a year and the food it produces has been outstanding.
In January I am going into full retirement and going to travel the country and live
full time in my Motor home. Space is going to make it so I go to a 14.5 from the 18.5.

I've been buying 8.5# to 9.5# briskets due to the size and thinking that with the smaller
smoker I might just split them into the point and flat and do one on each grate. My
method is to put them in pan with a little beef broth and cover with foil when it hits 150
to 155. This would also let me purchase a larger brisket and enjoy it longer.

I recently saw this done by one of the participants on a BBQ Pitmasters show
I watched. They turned the point into burnt ends.

I just did a brisket last Friday so think I'll try this in a few weeks and see how it
works.

One of the best brisket I have ever done was in my electric smoker(gasp). This was when I was young and dumb prior to my weber days! The electric smoker got me into BBQ and I have since sold and upgraded to my WSM which was one of the best decisions I could have ever made.

I could not fit an entire brisket in my electric smoker so I cut the point and flat apart. I cooked the point above the flat. The point dripped on the flat the entire cook. It was the greatest brisket flat I have ever eaten. I think the point helped keep the flat a little moist but I think I just nailed the cook as well.

I don't think there is any problem cutting them apart. I know a lot of people who cook em whole and when the flat is done they take em off and separate the point and flat and put the point back in the cooker.

Back