Hinge install - gasket adhesive on nuts/bolts?

RickS

Put the gasket on my 22.5" last night. Currently In the process of putting the lid hinge on today and was wondering if anyone has also put some of the gasket adhesive behind the hinge plates and/or on the nuts to seal everything completely? I mean, I went through the expense and trouble to apply the gasket, so I was thinking why not prevent additional leaks, even if it is overkill? If nothing else, I figure it will keep the nuts secure and the holes I drilled from rusting. TIA.

Last edited:
I didn't, I've got the gasket kit also, the bolt holes for the hinge are so close tolerance that there are no leaks from the hinge mounting hardware I just don't think it's needed it will just squeeze out when you tighten the hardware.

I know it was overkill, but figured, "why not," and put a little dab on each bolt. Moreso just to make sure they stay snug and prevent rusting than to seal any gaps. I decided against putting any on the back of the hinge plates, though.

RickS I do not have a hinge but have wondered if anyone had sealed it. I would worry about moisture getting under the nuts/bolts by that freshly drilled hole causing rust.

I've installed two and have not had issues with leakage. I did file down the hole (inside and out) to remove any shavings, then applied some rustoleum high temp grill paint with a Q tip to the exposed metal and let it dry before bolting it on.

RickS I do not have a hinge but have wondered if anyone had sealed it. I would worry about moisture getting under the nuts/bolts by that freshly drilled hole causing rust.

The handy thing about smokers is that they eventually coat everything with a thick gooey layer of grease :)

Same here just installed the hinge and it was a slick install. Very tight, no need to seal.
Steve

I just got the hinge for my 18.5...was curious on the same question posted, about sealing it. After reading I'm gonna pass. I did the washer mod as well to stabilize my top bracket on L brackets.... Looking forward to get my first rib cook on it!

-Rob

I just got the hinge for my 18.5.I did the washer mod as well to stabilize my top bracket on L brackets....

-Rob

Rob,
I am thinking about buying one of these hinges. Can you please explain what your "washer mod" is?
Was the hinge difficult to get placed straight / correctly - so the lid opens & closes exactly?
Thanks!

Hello Roger R,

I got a new 18.5 but had the "out of round"...basically my top grate was not sitting securely on the L bracket. If I hit the top grate, it would have fallen in the cooker, food and all. So I got 3 stainless steel washers and put them between the cooker and each the L bracket (top and bottom), this way it pushes out the bracket further into the middle of the cooker, which in turn allows my top grate to sit more securely.

I have not added my hinge yet, but I'm hoping it isn't much of an issue after doing the washer mod...if so I may be taking the some of the washers back out to adjust for the spacing.

-Rob

The main concern you guys need to have with installing your hinge is really ensuring that A) you don't mount the lid too far to one side of the mid-section's inner lip, and B) that you absolutely do NOT slip with your drill.

I've installed 2 hinges successfully with complete accuracy (all the while being completely nervous as hell). The way I did mine is to take a silver sharpie, mark the first hole as a full circle, then scratch an X perfectly across the hole. I then ground/stabbed into the metal as best as possible right in the middle, til I had a decent point for my drill to start with.

That porcelain is slippery as hell and if you just try to take a drill to it without scuffing, you're very likely to slip, as I discovered on my very first attempt. Luckily it didn't scratch or cause damage, somehow.

Once you get a nice little mark in the dead-center of that sharpie-hole, take one of your tiny bits, drill a hole through, then work your way up. I highly recommend using a step bit once you get to 2 sizes away from your final hole size.

Once you get the first hole done, mount the bolt, THEN mark the other holes.

The main concern you guys need to have with installing your hinge is really ensuring that A) you don't mount the lid too far to one side of the mid-section's inner lip, and B) that you absolutely do NOT slip with your drill.

Nick, Would painters tape, or duct tape - applied to the WSM then marked with the sharpie keep the drill from slipping?

Nick, Would painters tape, or duct tape - applied to the WSM then marked with the sharpie keep the drill from slipping?

Perhaps, though at the pressure you've gotta put on the metal when drilling, I'm not sure if it would do a whole lot for you. Even taking a nail or center punch or something that can dimple or mark the middle of the hole just a little bit, while help a lot. Just take it slow and make your pilot hole with one of your smallest bits.

Slipping is the reason you should wait before marking the rest of the holes. You're much more likely to screw something up the first time you try it, versus subsequent attempts.

I believe on my 22's install of the hinge, I slipped sideways by about 1/16". That would've likely caused an issue if I had drilled all holes at once. I basically stepped my way through each hole, drilling and installing each bolt, til all holes were complete. Takes a while as you gotta unscrew/remove the hinge each time you drill a new hole, but it's worth it ---- we're talking a $400 screwup potentially.

And finally, I'm a bit OCD, so when they say measure twice, cut once, I did more like measure 15x, cut once. I spent a lot of time carefully getting the hinge and lid centered with respect to the front door, etc. I'm a symmetry person for sure, and I of course somehow still managed to get it mounted slightly off center. The lid is the toughest part because the hinge has some lateral play, so you can drive yourself nuts trying to decide where exactly you call "centered".

Last edited:
Dang....what I thought was going to be a somewhat easy add-on, is making me second guessing adding it on all together. I haven't had a chance to even open the hinge unit yet, due to work this time of year..after reading this thread! Might just be easier not to add it one and just put the lid on the ground when I use my cooker! It is just the wife and and I and occasionally entertain, so the removing of the lid will not be that often.

I asked for one for Christmas. I don't think it will be that tough to install if you use common sense and take your time.

Sean, I agree with the center punch. I'm glad there are people here that have done this already. BTW, after centering the lid, do you drill the lid holes first and attach the hinge, or drill the body first? Does it matter?

I asked for one for Christmas. I don't think it will be that tough to install if you use common sense and take your time.

Agreed. I don't mean to discourage anyone from doing this mod, in fact I highly encourage it as the #1 mod to make.

But yeah, take your time, use common sense, minimize slippage, use a center punch and nail or other sharp-tipped object to ensure the drill bit doesn't slip, bottom line. The rest is just subjective decisions on alignment.

And read the damn directions, everyone. They are in fact somewhat useful for special notes (ie. dont install the hinge on the lid first) , though I rarely follow assembly directions to a T unless it's critical.

Back