55 gallon barrel wind screen question

JeffreyAM

Has anyone made a wind screen out of a 55 gallon, steel, barrel?

I found a guy that is selling them, but I don't exactly know the best way to use it. I saw the pictures in the 'cold' section of the website.

Anybody out there have any details on how to make it, or how well it works?

I am hoping to smoke dinner for Christmas eve, but I have always struggled with getting my temps hot enough when the weather is cold and rainy.

BTW, I am the guy who smoked my Thanksgiving turkey in my attached garage because of temp problems!

Thanks.

Jeff

Hi Jeff. Never heard of the barrel thing before. I'm sure one of the engineers around here could come up with something pretty cool!
icon_smile.gif

My original windblock was four of those 6' metal garden/fence stakes sledgehammered in the ground at about 3' apart forming a square (four corners). Take a tarp and bungees and wrap it tight around the posts enclosing three sides. then I took a 3' x 4' piece of plywood and propped it up against the fourth side making that my access door. If it rained/snowed I had a 3' x 3' piece of plywood that I would set on top of the posts. Worked great, was cheap and portable.

The cold is not your enemy, the wind is.

Rick @

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Kramer:
Worked great, was cheap and portable.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And right there is what I look for in a wind break.

Jeff - if you don't care too much about portability, and you can get the barrel cheap, I guess I'd go for it. It will definitely work. Will you get the barrel and have to do the work yourself or are you looking at a barrel that's already split and has hinges?

If you have an 18, would it fit to just cut the top and bottom off, and slide it over the top of the WSM after you have begun? You could still lift the lid to check things if necessary

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Kramer:
Worked great, was cheap and portable.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And right there is what I look for in a wind break. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've posted this before but haven't had much comment about it. This is what I use for my wind break (the tent not the woman).

0072700112179_500X500.jpg

Works great - I used it in a pretty strong overnight storm on the banks of the Chesapeake Bay
Cheap - $22 @ Walmart http://www.walmart.com/catalog...o?product_id=4726169
Very portable - It folds up and fits into a carrying bag smaller that a two man tent

That's some funny 'stuff'. Not my real choice of words, so figure it out.

Anyway:

Rick: I'm looking for something that I can just set up without driving fence posts into the frozen tundra. I'm sitting on clay and I would have to buy a back hoe attachment for my Kubota for that. I think the barrel will be both cheap, portable, and my 7 year old boy can paint some cool Mad Max symbols on the outside for color.

Jerry: The barrel guy has clean ones for $8. After the handles and hinges I might be looking at about $20. My buddy has a Sawsall and we were gonna do it ourselves. Just looking for tips on crafting and using it. Worried a little about jagged edges.

Dave: I do have an 18" and I figured it would fit down inside, but I don't want to have to lift it off if I need to add fuel or water to the pan. I just bought the new sized water pan for the 18". I don't know if Weber has made them available for sale, but my grill salesman 'found' one when he received one that was 'damaged' during shipping.

Don: That wind screen looks like a little more than I am willing to spend. (And that is without the model in the picture!) Also, I am quite sure that setting anything with combustible materials within it is not recommended by either manufacturer! I'd set that thing on fire in about 3 minutes!

Brenton: You have to stay focused man!

Keep em coming guys! I hope to pick up the barrel tomorrow and work a little on the project. I just ordered an 18 lb standing rib roast for Christmas eve dinner.

Jeff

I'm not an engineer but I guess being a mechanic is close enough. I've seen the barrell windbreak in action. Its pretty easy to fabricate. Just cut the ends out, cut it in half, add a couple hinges to one side and a couple handles to the other so you can open it to check progress. It appears to be big enough to go around a 22.5" WSM with maybe a little of the lid sticking up.

Thanks Dan. You are obviously the barrel guy that I have been looking for. Did you make that yourself? How did you cut it? Are the edges sharp? Do I need a special drill bit to drill holes for the hinges, handle, and umbrella mount? Is that the 18" or the 22.5" WSM in those pics?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Jeff

Not this particular barrel, but another one I did you can pound out the bottom of the barrel using a big chisel. Cutting the barrel in half will leave sharp edges, but this can be smoothed out with a grinder or file. Standard drill bits are you need for the holes.

This picture is with my 18. On R4D4 the barrel won't completely wrap around, just face the open side down wind.

Thanks Dan. I'm waiting for my buddy with a truck to get the barrel and we are going to work on it this evening. I'll run to the hardware store and get the hinges and handles. I got a grinder for my air compressor, so I think I can get the edge down with that. I'll post pics as soon as I can.

Thanks again.

Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I've posted this before but haven't had much comment about it. This is what I use for my wind break (the tent not the woman).

0072700112179_500X500.jpg

Works great - I used it in a pretty strong overnight storm on the banks of the Chesapeake Bay
Cheap - $22 @ Walmart http://www.walmart.com/catalog...o?product_id=4726169
Very portable - It folds up and fits into a carrying bag smaller that a two man tent </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I 2nd this. Just stumbled on one of these at my local Wallyworld yesterday and remembered the post on these forums, so of course I had to buy it. Did 2 shank hams and a whole turkey today for Christmas gifts in 20-30 degree, 10-20mph winds without a hiccup. No fires or issues at all.

I'm doing a pork shoulder right now and although I don't have a wind screen, I just shoveled out a hollow in a snow bank and built a type of igloo. It works pretty good but of course in the spring I'll be screwed.

Well, I got my barrel wind screen done.

Took maybe about 3 hours from pick up to clean up. The barrel used to store cooking grease, so it was a bit of a mess to clean out. One end was already open, so we cut out the bottom, then made two cuts down each side with the Sawsall. The first cut was easy, but once the barrel was cut on one side, it was awkward to cut the other side because it wanted to lay open.

Once cut, I wiped out the grease/oil from inside and washed it down with some soapy hot water.

The edges were pretty sharp with some burring. I used my dremel to file down the ruff edges. It did the job just fine.

Instead of using a regular hinge, I found a post latch on a hinge. I figured this would be easier to take it a part for storage. I couldn't find any loose pin hinges. The post latch ones worked great. I used a cordless drill to drill out the holes and used nuts and bolts to attach them and a couple handles.

A little goo gone on the unsightly content stickers and I'm ready to go.

I don't have time to decorate it as I need to go get supplies for the party tomorrow. I will be painting it up a little and stenciling the words: 'Smoking is Mandatory!', on it!

I will post pics of the barrel in use along with, hopefully, a perfect standing rib roast!

Thanks for the help fellas and Happy Holidays!

Jeff

Jeff, how did your barrel turn out? Here is a pic of my barrel from Christmas Day smokin' a standing rib roast at my parents. 20 MPH wind, rain & snow. No problem with temps. Nice thing too is that my Taylor sticks on the side of the barrel.

Christmas Windbreak

I've been trying to find a solution for a windscreen. I first tried making a box with a buddy who said he was a carpenter. $118 later and I have one charlie brown looking wind screen. Scrapped that one. Been considering doing the dog fence panel idea that one member did. About the same in expense and very portable. I like the tent idea, I'm going to Walmart this very instant and see if I can score one. That will great for the summer. Still looking for a winter solution though
icon_frown.gif

Originally posted by David Verba:
I've been trying to find a solution for a windscreen. I first tried making a box with a buddy who said he was a carpenter. $118 later and I have one charlie brown looking wind screen. Scrapped that one.

How bad is it? pics would be nice..
For that kinda cash, I would think that you can at least try to do a remodel on what you have..

Tim

Sorry for the delay! Been crazy around here.

Anyway, my Christmas Eve smoke was another, how do I say...adventure. The day itself started screwed up with half an inch of ice on the driveway and the roads. Got a few calls threatening to cancel due to weather. I'm looking at $174.83, worth of standing rib roast on the counter, and I can't even figure out if everyone is coming for dinner!

I was stoked to try out my new windscreen barrel. After getting my old lady's SUV unstuck and into the garage, and the ice cleared off the driveway, I brushed, and salt and peppered my meat. I have diligently studied the 'cold and rain' section of the website and to head off any low temp. problems, I lit a full Weber chimney and a smaller after-market chimney and got'em glowing good. It was raining by now, and just extremely cold and damp. But I had faith in my barrel!

Got everything set, lits in, unlits on top, assemble....position my windscreen....wait a bit...temp. at 300...looking good....get meat ready....temp. drops and stays at 225!!!! Oh I was pissed.

I move the barrel a little here and a little there. I open the door and move the coals. I did everything I could! I couldn't fit any more coals in there and they were glowing. When I blocked the wind or put the access door on it seemed like they were just getting too cold!

I put the meat on for to get some smoke flavor at least for a while. Cherry wood btw. Got great smoke. As the guests arrived, I sure looked like I knew what I was doing!

Anyway, to make a long story short, I pulled the **** thing in the garage, messed with positioning the barrel and left the access door completely off. Then finaly I got the temp up to 350!

Now I am going to say some words that thought I would never hear myself say, and I am praying that many of you have said, and hope that in return that I get some kind of support from my WSM Brothers (and Sisters, if you are out there): At one point I said to myself, 'this is the last time I am EVER using this dam@ smoker! It sucks!'

Luckily the appetizers held the crowd over and after 5 hours, I finally got a 135 internal temp., not quite in the center, but some of us like it rare! So, I pulled it, rested it, and the rest is the Christmas Past!

It was **** good. Perfection, you might say, for my first prime rib. But to me, it's not just the end result, it is the journey of getting there! And this journey sucked!

So, I look a little around the forum earlier and I found a bunch of posts about the same issue. A ton of hot, lit, coals, and low temps! So, who out there has the answers to this problem. The wind is a factor, and a delicate one at that. I learned this past cook that the wind was not my enemy, it was the solution, because I couldn't get my coals hot enough until I took the access door off and let the wind make my goals dance!

**** this is a freaking science!

So, check these pics out if you like.

http://s918.photobucket.com/al...nding%20Rib%20Roast/

Jeff

Back