SJG mods and damper

Paul Taylor

Been grilling on Webers for decades without a thought.Having a family i bought a SJG for our first camping trip a few months ago (Smokey Joe Premium here in the UK).

Like many I was having mixed results with temperature and a little frustrated. By the second trip I decided things had to be improved. This led me to the net, this forum and much research. Any excuse to get the tools out is always good for me so a bottom damper, a can ash deflector and a thermometer was the plan. All parts sourced on Ebay, the can being a cheap stainless steel cup from China. didn't enjoy drilling the enamel but wanted something more solid than the tinfoil deflector.

I don't know if it the same in the US but my SJG came with an aluminium drip tray to go below the charcoal grate. This appears to do very little apart from further restrict airflow around the coals. Already decided this was now redundant it occurred to me it was one hole short of an ash catcher, easy job.

I set the thermometer at an angle to minimize its impact into the limited cooking area, this seems to have worked well. I know some people do not think temp is important for grilling but I have always found it useful especially with the lid on.

Winter here now but I look forward to firing this up soon.

http://s484.photobucket.com/user/allotherstuff/library/SJG mods

Last edited:
Nicely done, Paul! I've thought about the bottom vent for my Platinum but just don't use it enough to justify the work.

Back