What are your vanity mods?

YYang

TVWBB Fan
Just curious about the "vanity mods" people have made to their pet Webers. To clarify, these are mods undertaken with full knowledge that they have nothing to do with function and everything to do with appearance, although convenient secondary benefits may result. I'm busy gussying up a Cajun Bandit door with a paint job right now, and I'm feeling a little guilty because it won't help me make better barbecue. I just can't help myself :rolleyes:.

Update:
Here's what the smoker looks like now. I painted the handles, thermometer bezel, bolts, dolly assembly, legs, and door. For more details see the other thread I posted: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?62488-Meet-Drogon-22-5-WSM-Mods-amp-First-Cook
IMG_0580_zpsmmoi8ir9.jpg

Last edited:
Cajun Bandit door for sure! I took one look at those doors and knew I just couldn't do one more cook without one! :p

Don't have any but thanks for starting this thread. Might give me some cool ideas. Make sure you post some pics when your painting is done.

I am definitely guilty of this. It started with my Mini WSM in 2012 and hasn't stopped since:
Copy%2520of%2520IMG_2793.jpg

Copy%2520of%2520IMG_2792.jpg

I've done handle and thermometer swaps on a few kettles and my latest WSM. The light gray handles of the 2000's always look dirty to me. The newer dark gray look better so i swap for them even though they don't do any better job. Strictly cosmetic.
F240C9D6-ECD4-432D-A886-289D503ABE55_zpsvigfhv6i.jpg

Why not, it's a hobby!

Last edited:
no vanity mods on my WSM. In fact you could argue my gasket kit makes the cooker uglier haha
I did spend a stupid amount of time and money painting my mini...

I did spend a stupid amount of time and money painting my mini...

I'd say that qualifies :)

I actually have a dream project of doing a custom painted kettle but every attempt I see shows that the paint burns. i think to do it properly would require a body shop with a paint booth that can bake on the enamel like weber does. Maybe Some day....

So Chuck, how do you turn that thing when it's at temp?

I was thinking that maybe drill a hole through it so you can insert a longish bolt at right angles to the plug. Won't help re the heat aspect but might make it easier to turn.

When I win the lottery (which is unlikely since I don't play), I'd love to get a custom paint/powdercoat job to look like R2D2. Yeah, I'm one of those...

Back