My new 18.5 with mods

JMoffatt

So I bought a WSM 2 weeks ago on Oct 2 started reading here and began moding it here's some of the mods so far.

Cajun bandit fire ring with extra great crossed and wired

I installed some cable straps from Home Depot to mount my table to, that idea came from here but I can't remember the posters name and can't find the thread now. I installed the unknown bbq hinge.

I installed lift handles on the outside of the center section and a new CB door and latch

I electro etched some flames into my new door you can kinda see them here they did'nt come out as good as I wanted but hey it's mine, I've got another handle on order to put on the front lid like the 22.5's I'll update when installed. Oh and also wooden handles.

Last edited:
I really like that cable strap table idea. does that keep the table mounting clips in stock form so they could still be used on a kettle too?

Yup, the handles are a great idea. My arms get tired trying to lift / hold (when needed) the middle part when loaded up. Gotta do that one of these days.

What's the situation with the table? what did it come off of? Where do you get it? Cost? etc.? It looks good and functional.

What brand of gasket did you put around the top? I was just wondering because I have the white peel and stick nomex gaskets on my 18.5 The wide ones for the door is fine but the one for the top I am having issues with. Seems the lid sticks to the gasket better than the gasket sticks to the mid section. It pulls it off. I know it needs to be clean but it shouldn't have been an issue since I put it on while it was new and wiped the surface down with acetone. There wasn't a trace of oil on it.

Last edited:
What brand of gasket did you put around the top? I was just wondering because I have the white peel and stick nomex gaskets on my 18.5 The wide ones for the door is fine but the one for the top I am having issues with. Seems the lid sticks to the gasket better than the gasket sticks to the mid section. It pulls it off. I know it needs to be clean but it shouldn't have been an issue since I put it on while it was new and wiped the surface down with acetone. There wasn't a trace of oil on it.

Did you put in the vertical "wall" of the upper rim or the horizontal flat bottom of the lip?

For the top I did my gasket "face up" on the the bottom lip of the top so my lid sat on the gasket perfectly, but on the bottom of the smoker body, I gasketed on the vertical edges and it didn't sit well in the fire bowl.

Put it on the flat horizontal surface. Didn't stretch it either. I got enough material to do it over again but if its going to do the same thing Id like to try some other material. I only did the mid section to lid surface. The lower joint between the fire bowl and mid section is a tight press fit and it sealed up tight.

I used this and glued it with high temp silicone
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B002YGM6PK/tvwb-20

New mods today, I received my wood handles from AML Woodworks today, thank you Marty Leach. I used a handle kit from his site made for a drum smoker and installed it on the front of the lid like the 22.5 WSM has. I think it's a good addition if you are using the lid hinge, also my custom lid handle.

Back