New 14.5 WSM, mobile cart

M Ullmer

Hi all. Long time lurker who finally took the WSM plunge thanks to everyone here. A few weeks ago I read all the posts about 14.5" clearance deals at Wal-mart and decided to stop by one after work. Went to the seasonal section, found it stuffed with Christmas decorations and one 14.5" WSM buried behind everything with a $100 tag on it. I went back the next day and just happened to find the seasonal manager putting up signs for the Christmas stuff. Asked him if that was the final clearance price and he knocked off another 10 bucks. I figured for $90 I better grab it before someone else here does ;)

Then I remembered I had an old metal stand for a printing press taking up space in the back of the garage. Hmm, I bet that's a good size for the smoker. Yesterday I added some $3 casters from Harbor Freight and for just over $100 I have my new mobile smoker cart. I think it'll be great to be able to wheel the whole setup in and out of the garage as one unit and put it wherever I want. The top of the cart is 29" so the top grate on the cooker is right at chest height. That should make it much more comfortable for me and keep it just out of reach from the kids.

This is the current rough stage of the cart.

I cleaned the top and shot a quick coat of black rust suppressing primer on it. I'll hopefully get the rest cleaned and painted soon (but that's really the least of my worries compared to using it). I'm left-handed so to me it's more comfortable to have the smoker on the right side. Here's my ideal list of mods to the cart in the future:

1. Mount hooks to hold the lid on the right side panel
2. Add a storage bin for charcoal in the middle
3. Add utensils/paper towels/gloves storage/holders
4. Attach the smoker to the top (bolts thru legs or SS cable ties?)

One question I have is heat and the painted top. Do I need to worry about a painted surface so close? I thought about using a 1200* high heat paint if it becomes an issue.

I've had an '08 Genesis for a while but always thought about getting a WSM. Now thanks to all of the bad influences here I knew to dig through the Wal-mart clearance and ask for a discount that I never would have done in the past. I've already learned a ton and found great inspiration. It's a slippery slope and I love it. Now I guess I need to fire it up!

Mike

Back