Best Probe Wire Solution? Cut Notch or Drill Port in 22" WSM?

Charlie L

TVWBB Super Fan
I know the topic has been around for years, and I have done my own temp ports in my mini WSM and kettles before, but that was few years back and there are newer methods and products now.

I’m upgrading from an 18” WSM to a 22”. My 18” was new and came with the Weber Silicon Grommet the 22 is used and does not have any probe port. What is the modern consensus solution for probe wires? I have a maverick 733 and a pitmaster IQ so im often running 3 wires into the smoker.

Weber Silicon Grommet?

BBQ Guru Grommets?

Cut a notch in the lip of the smoker?

DIY port using lamp wire?

I have an extra Weber Silicon Grommet from a warranty replacement on the 18 but that would require drilling a large hole in the smoker body. I don’t love the idea of drilling a hole that big but I can do it if it’s the best solution. I don’t love using this probe on my 18 as the wires snag easily and I feel like the whole grommet will pop out if I pull too hard.

I really don’t know much about the Guru grommets. Are they still available? Do they fit Et733 probes?

I’ve read about cutting a notch in the lip of the smoker but would love more feedback.
How big to cut notch? Any issues with air leaks and shutting down smoker? I like the fact that this brings the wires in at top grate level where they are needed and can be removed when grates are being lifted.

DIY port using lamp wire? I know this has been done a million different ways. Any preferred parts or methods?

I would love to hear some feedback.

The slot , no contest.:cool:

I’ve read about cutting a notch in the lip of the smoker but would love more feedback.

How big to cut notch? i used an angle grinder and the cutting wheel was maybe an 1/8" wide..and cut down to just a hair below the rim that the lid rests on..... Any issues with air leaks and shutting down smoker? none whatever for me... I like the fact that this brings the wires in at top grate level where they are needed and can be removed when grates are being lifted.​exactly . this is totally the way to go....the grommet just holds your wires (and food) prisoner

Last edited:
The slot , no contest.:cool:

How big to cut notch? i used an angle grinder and the cutting wheel was maybe an 1/8" wide..and cut down to just a hair below the rim that the lid rests on..... Any issues with air leaks and shutting down smoker? none whatever for me... I like the fact that this brings the wires in at top grate level where they are needed and can be removed when grates are being lifted.​exactly . this is totally the way to go....the grommet just holds your wires (and food) prisoner

Good Feedback Frank. Thanks. I will give it a shot.

The slot. About 3/8"-1/2" wide and down to just where the lip turns into the smoker. The lid sits on that lip and the wire should be able to slide in and out with no binding when the lid is in place. I used an angle grinder for the main cut (go easy as it'll go through the side of the WSM like a hot knife through butter) and use a small file to clean up the edges (you'll create a small burr with the grinder).

I use both. The grommet for probes going to meat on the lower rack, but the slot for the upper. The slot makes it much easier when removing the top rack to get to the bottom rack.

Originally I did the threaded lamp tube modification. Sounds good in theory, but in reality it was a pain to deal with. Especially when you needed to remove the top grill to tend to something on the lower grill.

Recently did the slot - much better - never looked back.

Slot it! I also have a gas upright that I drilled 2 holes for the probes and wires, sorta like a grommet ,but without the grommet,lol
what a PITA to thread the probes through, and when you remove the meat. A slot makes it too easy, and no problem with too much air infiltrating.

The slot. About 3/8"-1/2" wide and down to just where the lip turns into the smoker. The lid sits on that lip and the wire should be able to slide in and out with no binding when the lid is in place. I used an angle grinder for the main cut (go easy as it'll go through the side of the WSM like a hot knife through butter) and use a small file to clean up the edges (you'll create a small burr with the grinder).

I'd say that's much wider than needed. I slotted mine with a 1/8" thick hard grinding disk. It took about 30 seconds to cut the slot, and another couple minutes to file off the burrs and smooth the edges. I get virtually no leakage from the 1/8" x 1/8" opening that remains once the lid is on.

Hopefully soon we will not have to worry about wires. I started a thread in the "just conversation" section but if you haven't seen it check out this kick starter campaign. They claim to of made a truly wireless temp probe. one probe tells you meat and ambient temp.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1977846026/meater-the-first-truly-wireless-smart-meat-thermom

Interesting, but I'm not sure how well that would work from inside an all-steel smoker or grill, or how long it would last with electronics inside the cooker.

I have slots on both the mini & 18.5 along with both performers and my latest soon to be unveiled super Weber kettle. I think the slots are the least hassle of all the probe methods out there.

I have slots on both the mini & 18.5 along with both performers and my latest soon to be unveiled super Weber kettle. I think the slots are the least hassle of all the probe methods out there.

Why was it so EZ to cut the slots in the WSMs & I'm having such a hard time getting myself to do it to my new to me beautiful green performer? I know it's the right thing to do.

Same here. Can't cut bowl. Cutting WSM. I'm I'm on performer usually only monitoring meat not grate so one wire under kid is not a big deal.

I didn't feel bad cutting it, I tend to modify and try and stupid proof everything, I don't care if the truck gets a scratch either, I'm sure not worrying over a $300 smoker,lol.

Just do it! :)

If the front door is 6 o'clock, about where are you cutting the slot? I need one badly. Wrestling with 3 probes through those factory holes is a pain. And then the hassle of the wires and about causing catastrophe trying to move meat, igrill or top grate.

If the front door is 6 o'clock, about where are you cutting the slot? I need one badly. Wrestling with 3 probes through those factory holes is a pain. And then the hassle of the wires and about causing catastrophe trying to move meat, igrill or top grate.

It kinda depends if you are right or left handed. & where you keep the Mavericks (or other). & what side of the table (chair, stool or whatever) you place your cooker. Make it right for you.

Last edited:
Same here. Can't cut bowl. Cutting WSM. I'm I'm on performer usually only monitoring meat not grate so one wire under kid is not a big deal.
I just ground a little divot in the rim of my kettle. That way the rolled edge is still in tact for strength. It's just enough to allow the lid to sit flush with one probe wire in place.

Interesting, but I'm not sure how well that would work from inside an all-steel smoker or grill, or how long it would last with electronics inside the cooker.

everyone on this forum is very skeptical! I have my reservations too but would be a very excited if this product truly worked!
I hope we are all wrong and this product knocks our socks off! haha

Back