How has your Mini paint job held up?

David P.

TVWBB Member
Coming in late in the build, I've read thru so many helpful threads on painting the mini. It seems that the consensus paint to use is VHT, either the engine rated at 500 deg or caliper paint rated at 900 degrees. 7 day during process starting with a primer coat, then followed up by a few layers of high gloss black and then a layer of clear coat or two. Then cure at 200 or 250 for about 20-30 mins.

I'm curious, how has everyone's paint jobs held up over a year or two? Would you have done anything differently? Does the 500 deg VHT engine stand up well or should I go for the 900 deg caliper paint?

How have those with logos held up? Any tips?

I did the high heat header paint. Mine has held up well. it is gunked up but no peeling or anything like that.

I used the header paint on my mini-za. Guess it got to hot down on the lower end!

14837085135_457e84fa49_c.jpg

14836707192_0051a8141d_c.jpg

Would you have done anything differently? {snip} How have those with logos held up? Any tips?
I built mine in one weekend including paint (3 coats) and then I read the directions on the can. LOL 3 coats should have taken more than a week allowing for proper paint set up. It's held up pretty good, it's kind of a beast looking mini now, but then it's had a lot of cooks in it

My only advice (free advice) is not to get to hung up how it looks, but most important how it cooks. Air Flow, charcoal basket, multiple racks / rack spacing choices those are pretty important, a good thermometer is always a good thing

My beast at 16 months old and no less than 30 cooks (probably more, the kids use it a lot)

90A63AE3-B031-4A84-A916-1F9CBCEBEDF0_zpssent1lqe.jpg

I did the high heat header paint. Mine has held up well. it is gunked up but no peeling or anything like that.

I read that the header paint has a three step curing process ... 30 mins at 250, 400 and 600. Did you cure the header paint and if so, what did you use to do it?

David, just sent you a reply to your PM, sorry it is so late. How is your build going? Like I said in my message, patience is a virtue.

David, I didn't mention in my reply that I did use a light coat of the header primer for the first coat, except the areas I wanted to show as Aluminum. I think it does help for the paint to stick to the pot.

Thank you for the great info Doug! I'm split between using the VHT Engine Enamel rated to 550 for primer/paint/clear coat vs the Header/Caliper primer/paint/clear coat. Mostly worried if I used the header primer if it would still be as effective if I just followed the Caliper curing process, skipping the 400/600 degree bake.

David, I only used the header primer and then the 550* Engine Enamel. I did 1 light coat of primer, then 2 coats of the enamel in 10 min intervals, all within the 60 minute recommendation in the directions on the can.

I agree wholeheartedly with Chuck when he says not to worry so much about the looks and more on the functionality. I spent a lot of time taping off my mini for an elaborate flame design and it turned out awesome. I babied the thing and still do somewhat, but it is inevitable that it will get dings and that grease will make it dirty. I was ****ed when it got its first scar and kept trying to touch it up, but over time it becomes character. I always tinker with mine and now have it setup to run on a Pitmaster IQ120, which took efficiency to a whole new level. My mini is one of my most favorite toys.

Catching up on photos, but here is a pic of my mini paint job after almost a year. A few marks in the paint and a couple of drips from grease, but overall holding up well. The flames were a first for me, and they look a little rough, but the overall concept is there. I was driving down a country road earlier this summer and saw a destroyed Weber kettle just sitting on a curb ready for the trash truck. I stole the handles off of it and added them to the side handles of my pot. Solved the burning myself problem.

Mine is about three years old and used quite a lot.
Used Rust-o-leum High Heat Ultra. Very easy to use ..clean pot ....and a couple of coast. Really really held up well...just make sure it's the ULTRA..it's real glossy and matches the Weber Smokey Joe.

Back