Harry Soo's advice

Eric S.

TVWBB Fan
I screen captured this at Bbqbrethen. After a few runs, including a couple over night, it is my prefered method, over tweaking all vents concurrently.

interesting. I always start the top at 100, the bottoms 3 at 100 till the temp gets to 150, close off 2 of 3 bottom to about 25%, then adjust accordingly.

I'll give this a go next time.

Tks for the post! The only blower I've got is God's lips.

I still start the same way as you, Len. The temp runs 230-260ish with K blue. I found if you watch for the temp to just start to fall before opening another vent it stays on the lower end of the range. Yesterday I used some lump I was given and it ran at 250-280. The ribs Q was still devoured.

I don't worry about watching the thermometer. I just sit it and forget it now.

I'm sure what Harry says works. It also works to adjust all bottom vents equally throughout a cook. I've noticed that the charcoal burns more evenly over the entire surface of the charcoal chamber when all vents are used as opposed to just one vent, and that's what I prefer.

Same as you Chris. I find the fuel in the charcoal ring burns more evenly. I think that this is important when using the tin-can method and all the lit briqs are in the centre of the packed charcoal ring. All vents wide open until I get to about 200F, then close all three bottom vents to about 20% open. Top vent 100% open throughout the cook.

There is no "right way" to control temps in a WSM, just what works best for you. I recommend that you try different methods and determine which best suits your cooking style. Just keep in mind that it is always best to control the temps while they are on the way up than it is to quell the fire once it has overshot the target.

I'm sure what Harry says works. It also works to adjust all bottom vents equally throughout a cook. I've noticed that the charcoal burns more evenly over the entire surface of the charcoal chamber when all vents are used as opposed to just one vent, and that's what I prefer.

I subscribe to this thought process but I do find it easier to make very small adjustments with just one damper. In a normal cook I try to adjust all three evenly.

Most of the time my 22" WSM runs with one intake vent opened a crack and the lid vent open 100%
If more vents are open it gets too hot.
When the single vent is closed it extinguishes the fire.
I use KBB exclusively.
I think it is interesting that the vent setting vary so widely.

I have an L shaped backyard with big hedges and the wind swirls and swoops so I finally found out two vents closed and one vents barely open works to hold onto a 275 steady temp.

Last edited:

Back