Recommend Mods?

Travis W

What's up ya'll! New to these interwebs and just ordered up my b-day present today...new WSM!!!! I've been using my home brewed smokey joe converted to mini-WSM for the past 5 years or so to cut my teeth. My question is what mods would folks here recommend first? I am planning on building a shelter/wind screen as I live in the great white north of Upper MI. What has been a must do in your experience? Thanks!!!

I'm one of those, "start small" kinda modin' guys.
- Bought an extra charcoal grate, and wired it to the ring to create a "#" pattern to better hold smaller pieces/lump.
- Mounted the 22" WSM on casters (not done, but this one will happen next).

Not mods, but stuff I found indispensable.
- A dryer vent tube in the rare case I need to add more charcoal. (using it as a slide to place the hot-coal somewhat accurately)
- Using my Gasser as a shelf for the temp unit, and it's top burner as a chimney starter.

TONS of other mods that I'm sure many will mention below me...

I definitely second Myk's second charcoal grate. I like to to wire it to the lower one as well as use big U-blots as handles on that grate. You can then either just let the ring rest on the charcoal grates or clamp it to them.

Since your new to this smoker here are some cheap things get you started. Here some ideas that I find useful.

1.A long handled brush to clean the inside of the smoker and the charcoal bowl that has stiff bristles like this...http://www.homedepot.com/p/Quickie-20-in-Palmyra-Gong-Brush-247-1/205703632

2.Stainless steel hose clamps to attach the charcoal ring to the charcoal grate. This makes saving the unused charcoal a breeze. Just shake it out over the bowl or drop it on the ground a time or two
and your done.

3. Cut a slot or grommets for probes if you use them.

4. I clean my grates by spraying them with oven cleaner and then put them in a heavy lawn and leaf bag overnight. In the morning brush and rinse cleans them up quick. Just make sure you spray the grate good.

Expensive mods that I like are the unknown bbq hinge http://unknownbbq.com/custom-wsm-hinge/ and then maybe a good door and latch (they look cool) http://cajunbandit.com/wsm-parts-mods/

Have fun there are a bunch of other things also.

I would run a few cooks and modify your cooker as you see fit. People have different issues/improvements they want to make. Some people swear they need the gasket kit and others think the cooker does not need a gasket. Some people use the water bowl as it is designed some replace it with clay saucer etc. The only way to find out what you should do it by cooking and making small adjustments as you go.

I have added a port to run maverick probe wires in cooker and I installed a gasket kit.

I’ve done the following modifications to my WSM 18” and they have made a world of difference. I’ve done several other mods too (charcoal basket, cut lip slot), and but others have beat me to listing them.

As the smoker comes from factory the top L shaped tab doesn’t extend inward far enough to really stabilize the upper grill – you run the risk of the edge of the upper grill slipping off a tab and dumping the food items – really ugly. Need to do this mod before you do your first smoke. Install a spacer between the L shaped bracket that the upper grill rests on and the body of the smoker. There are four L brackets – need a spacer for each L bracket. Spacer needs to be long enough to accommodate the two nuts/bolts that hold the bracket to the body. The spacer’s thickness needs to be 1/8” - 1/4“ – thickness isn’t critical. Whatever the thickness of the spacer, you need to trim the bracket that the water pan fits on an equal amount so the water pan will fit. I used scrap aluminum for the spacers – could use several washers too. This description may not clearly describe the mod – let me know and I can post a picture.

Handles on body and bottom sections. I used garage door handles from a Big Box hardware store. Position horizontally.

Hope this helps.

As the smoker comes from factory the top L shaped tab doesn’t extend inward far enough to really stabilize the upper grill – you run the risk of the edge of the upper grill slipping off a tab and dumping the food items – really ugly. Need to do this mod before you do your first smoke. Install a spacer between the L shaped bracket that the upper grill rests on and the body of the smoker. There are four L brackets – need a spacer for each L bracket. Spacer needs to be long enough to accommodate the two nuts/bolts that hold the bracket to the body. The spacer’s thickness needs to be 1/8” - 1/4“ – thickness isn’t critical. Whatever the thickness of the spacer, you need to trim the bracket that the water pan fits on an equal amount so the water pan will fit. I used scrap aluminum for the spacers – could use several washers too.

This is the only necessary mod in my experience.

You'll need a quality thermometer, but you probably have one already.

I'd vote for the Cajun bandit door since I have one on all three of my WSMs. Add a couple of lid vents for high heat cooks. Casters on the legs if you need to roll it in and out of the shed your going to build and handles for the middle section. Have fun!

Recommended Mods:
1. Grind the slot for the probes rather than use grommets
2. Wire Lug Mount Probe Holders http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?61867-Probe-Holders-for-1
3. Get some disposable catering trays to keep your water bowl cleaner
4. Try cooking on stainless steel rack on a baking sheet to catch drippings

These are mods I like, but you can wait to do them:
1. Cajun Bandit Door
2. Cajun Bandit Hinge
3. Stacker of some sort (I use a modified Weber Rotisserie Rack)

Original Mod:
1. I just posted this mod for an Auto Watering System. I'm the only one I know who has done it, but it is real nifty. I've cooked with water, without water, with sand, with a foil wrapped bowl, with a terracota base. I have a competition team that uses WSMs and I prefer to cook with water because it helps regulate temperate and helps smoke particles adhere to the meat (per Greg Blonder article). The Auto Water system keeps the water level static and makes sure you arent forced to put a bunch of cold water in during the cook.
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?61864-Automatic-Water-System-for-Weber-Smokey-Mountain-Smoker

2.Stainless steel hose clamps to attach the charcoal ring to the charcoal grate. This makes saving the unused charcoal a breeze. Just shake it out over the bowl or drop it on the ground a time or two
and your done.

Thanks to your post I did this simple mod for $1.50 and 5 minutes of time over Labor Day weekend. Can't wait to try it out this weekend! Anything that simplifies WSM cleanup & saving unused charcoal is a win in my book. Thanks, Dale!

I would also recommend the Cajun Bandit door with the latch. I also did the Nomex gasket to help seal it a bit better. I also did and would recommend the 2nd charcoal grate.

Back