Gonna name a mountain after a truck

Different things have different names depending upon whom is asked. Surely the word "Denali" wasn't created from scratch by GMC, or do you really think that?

The mountain had pretty much always been known as Denali by the indigenous people of Alaska. It was change to McKinley in 1940 as a merely political move in spite of protest by Alaskans to honor McKinley, who never even set foot in Alaska, let alone had any connection to the mountain.

Alaska has been begging to have the name changed back to Denali since about 1975, but the request was blocked year after year by Ohio congressmen, until this year when the Department of Interior committee responsible for names in national parks chose to change it over their objections.

It started out as Denali, and I think it's fitting that it's traditional name has been returned to the people of Alaska.

The mountain had pretty much always been known as Denali by the indigenous people of Alaska. It was change to McKinley in 1940 as a merely political move in spite of protest by Alaskans to honor McKinley, who never even set foot in Alaska, let alone had any connection to the mountain.

Alaska has been begging to have the name changed back to Denali since about 1975, but the request was blocked year after year by Ohio congressmen, until this year when the Department of Interior committee responsible for names in national parks chose to change it over their objections.

It started out as Denali, and I think it's fitting that it's traditional name has been returned to the people of Alaska.

I'm OK with it. From what I understand the name shouldn't have been changed to begin with, but I've only seen or heard a news story or two.

After a thorough review of it's history (as best as I can find), I agree that it should be Mt Denali. I stand chastised :rolleyes:

the request was blocked year after year by Ohio congressmen, until this year when the Department of Interior committee responsible for names in national parks chose to change it over their objections.

Let's be clear. The current administration decided to change it and told the Department of the Interior to do so. It's just another case of the administration doing exactly as it wants without consideration of anyone else. Won't vote for what I want? Just issue an executive order or strong-arm a department.

Please know that I too support changing the name back to Denali.

I decidedly do not support the manner in which it was done.

It's just another case of the administration doing exactly as it wants without consideration of anyone else.
Someone follows through with a long standing request from Alaska, and the pundints get their nickers all out of wack.

Someone follows through with a long standing request from Alaska, and the pundints get their nickers all out of wack.

The name was adopted by Congress. Want to change it back? Get enough votes. It's as simple as that. "Long standing requests" aren't exactly the basis of a Republic.

Whats GMC going to do now? Maybe they should put a little symbol of the mountain in the Denali logo.

Back