What year is this Summit?

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
01616_2aMyeP9CKNc_600x450.jpg

I'm guessing ~2003-2005...................... watch the front of the airbox.........any other quick pointers?

01616_2aMyeP9CKNc_600x450.jpg

I'm guessing ~2003-2005...................... watch the front of the airbox.........any other quick pointers?

It's older than that. :~03-05 is when Suimmit Gold and Silvers were being sold. That looks to be a Summit 425/450 from about 98 - 2001. Definitely pull the grates and flavorizer bars and inspect the front of the cookbox where the burners come through.

All in all, these were built like tanks. I think they are better than the Gold/Silvers that followed them.

BTW, check underneath the right side shelf and see if there's a quick disconnect fitting. If so, you can add a side burner if you can find it.

Yep it's prior to the gold/silver types. It is a FAR better grill too BUT caution. Weber no longer supports it. They left mine stranded while in warranty with a rusted cook box.

I took a tank with me to test it - the flames are 2-3x bigger than on my Genesis, I'm assuming that it was jetted for natural gas. I'll take some pictures after dark.

What parts do I need to "jet" this thing for propane?

The flavorizer bars are in good shape, & the grate is just a tiny bit smaller than on my genesis so my PCI grates won't work.

I paid $70, anyone local is welcome to it before I tear into it. It needs the end-caps painted, decent shape otherwise. Came with the Rotisserie (and tank) too, but I'm not sure if it's (roti) complete.

11953033_10204919973821009_6535758497814787452_n.jpg

I'll call Weber - that'll be a first.

Check out the afterburner: Who needs a sear station is what I said as I stopped the video.

https://goo.gl/photos/koZSCgdFLRt4Qp3u7

Where is the serial # typically located on this model - I remember I had to pull the right table on my Gen Silver B.........................

I'm thinking new orifices, maybe the stainless grate, & maybe the ignitors since their heat shields are disintegrating but they still work. Probably won't put a ton of time or $$$ into it.

I'll call Weber - that'll be a first.

Check out the afterburner: Who needs a sear station is what I said as I stopped the video.

https://goo.gl/photos/koZSCgdFLRt4Qp3u7

Where is the serial # typically located on this model - I remember I had to pull the right table on my Gen Silver B.........................

I'm thinking new orifices, maybe the stainless grate, & maybe the ignitors since their heat shields are disintegrating but they still work. Probably won't put a ton of time or $$$ into it.

Should be a sticker with the serial number on the right rear leg. BTW, person I talked to about the orifices was at grill-repair.

Weber here will only sell you an entire manifold, not just the orifices. (Actually, here in our Nanny State they will insist that one of their dealers does the conversion, they will not supply to you direct).

I have seen some part kits on e-replacment parts with just the orifices, but not for all models. A new ignition kit is always a good idea.

Weber here will only sell you an entire manifold, not just the orifices. (Actually, here in our Nanny State they will insist that one of their dealers does the conversion, they will not supply to you direct).

I have seen some part kits on e-replacment parts with just the orifices, but not for all models. A new ignition kit is always a good idea.

heh, you all have it nicer than we do. Weber absolutely refuses to sell manifolds for conversion. They will only sell you the same style manifold that came with your grill and they match it based on your serial number. Going even further, they will terminate dealer relationships with any dealer who does conversions or assists with them.

Clint, the grates need replacing ? On the couple of 400/600 series Summits that I have seen, they all had stainless steel rod grates that don't wear out.

Yep, that Summit should have come with 3/8" SS rod grates and they are spaced very well to keep food from falling through. If it came with anything else than the seller put one over on you or the seller had someone put one over on him. The grates on that grill are same exact size as the old style Genesis grills. So it's conceivable someone may have pilfered them to use on a Genesis and put the cheapie stamped grates on yours. Sad because they're one of the things making these grills worth having. The jets BTW are VERY hard to find as IIRC they're metric. Also the valves are not the same between NG and propane so it's not enough to just change jets. If you have NG you'd be best doing a NG line to the grill and enjoy the benefits of NG cooking

Illustrated article here showing a NG to LP conversion on a Summit Silver by just changing the orifices and regulator.

http://carlsgrilltalk.com/portal/in...s/weber-grills/weber-summit-silver-conversion

He discusses the NG/LP different valves issue.

"This is a Weber Summit Silver Model # 5320001 that was dropped off at our warehouse in late February. The owners asked me to convert it to LP Gas from Natural gas. The problem with Weber Grills, and Ducane Grills for that matter, is that the LP and Natural valves are different.

When converting to LP by just changing the orifices, you will find that the low heat setting is still high. You can compensate for that by either using fewer burners or by adjusting the flame between the off and high setting. This will take some practice. Weber doesn't sell just the valves. But you might find a dealer who will sell the LP valve assembly, and it will cost more. IT IS NOT a factory recommended alternative! My customer, in this case, decided to try an orifice change out to see if they could adjust to it (the orifices only cost $2.86 each, so it is much cheaper)."

After installing he reports

"Img 2438 - As I suspected the flame was still high on the low setting. But I played with it between high and off to get a lower flame. You have to be careful here! If you turn it too low the flame will snuff out, leaving the gas on but with no flame! If you're not comfortable with this option, either use fewer burners to get the lower flame or get a new grill for LP!"

When I bought my 670 it was NG. I really didn't want to fool with it. After I took the time to run the line, etc, it has been great. It's just simple.

When I bought my 670 it was NG. I really didn't want to fool with it. After I took the time to run the line, etc, it has been great. It's just simple.

I can't think of a good way to run a gas line.....maybe I could......but I'm not interested in that.

The grates are the stamped ones, not stainless bars. I wonder what the best way to deal with this is - maybe just put it back out there for someone who's looking for this.

The sticker with the serial # is faded. There's no hanger for a propane tank so I'm pretty certain it's NG. There is a quick disconnect & another regulator under the right side table, but no side burner - I'd really like a side burner I think (for frying).

I can't think of a good way to run a gas line.....maybe I could......but I'm not interested in that.

The grates are the stamped ones, not stainless bars. I wonder what the best way to deal with this is - maybe just put it back out there for someone who's looking for this.

The sticker with the serial # is faded. There's no hanger for a propane tank so I'm pretty certain it's NG. There is a quick disconnect & another regulator under the right side table, but no side burner - I'd really like a side burner I think (for frying).

Yep, definitely NG and not LP. 4 burners with no side burner would make it a Summit 425. Possibly this one. http://help.weber.com/schematics/browse.aspx?model=261002

Underneath the right table is a NG regulator with a "T" fitting. A gas line connects to the left of the T fitting and goes to the manifold. the right of the T fitting has a quick disconnect for a side burner. If you can find a side burner, just pull off the stainless steel side table and the burner will drop right in.

If it has stamped grates than someone put something over on someone with you being the final recipient. I will say this. I have both an old Genesis II I bought new MANY years ago and this Summit (450). The grates are interchangeable between the two. Also the Genesis gives up nothing in performance to the Summit in performance (especially after my mod using ceramic flame tamer plates) allowing the Genesis to perform like a giant (but very controllable) infrared burner. Searing performance and low temp/evenness FAR out perform the Summit now. Really the biggest advantage to that Summit is the heavy SS bar cooking grates. If you decide to part that thing out though I would be interested in buying the front portion of the fire box from you :) which would make my Summit "whole" again

Thanks Guys! I don't think I'll part it out just yet, I've asked a couple friends if they'd be interested so I'll give them a shot first, and then I put it up in the Buy/Sell/Trade section so hopefully someone will find it a good deal.

OTOH, LMichaels - I know you've been looking for the fire box - I'd definitely entertain an offer from you if this helps.

Last edited:

Back